Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsMusic & Music Players · 5 months ago

How long does a pair of head phones last you?

I buy Sony stereo headphones that cost about $15. They last me about 6-12 months since I use them every day for about 5-8 hours. Am I break my headphones too fast?

Favorite Answer

I don't use headphones often but I treat them very well and many pairs of my headphones have lasted me for years! I would recommend treating them gently and when they are not in use leaving them in some sort of storage bag. I would also recommend maybe buying a more expensive pair of headphones like Beats brand since you seem to go through them so quickly, you may just need a higher quality pair that can withstand that wear and tear.

normally 4-6... days... lol!

Mine last for decades, because I treat them gently and with respect.

• Tony B

The ones I use the most are a set of Sennheiser headphones that I've had for around 30 - 35 years and they work fine (although I replaced the ear cushions because they were cracked).

I think I have another four sets of headphones including a very cheap, flimsy pair I bought around thirty years ago to listen to cassettes when I was travelling on the bus. They are all working fine.

Of course, things go wrong and accidents happen but using a set of headphones shouldn't really wear them out or damage them any more than using a pair of sunglasses wears them out.

I've been using headphones for around fifty years and I can't recall a pair ever failing.

I have been using headphones for over 40 years and I've never broken a pair.

I've worn out the earcup covering/padding or earbud ends on a few pairs, but they were still perfect otherwise when I stopped using them.

It's a combination of really good quality items and taking proper care of them.

My $200 Sennheiser headphones are about 7 years old now and work fine. I've only replaced the cable and the padding to keep them in good condition.

Obviously spending more money usually gets you a better made product but it's more about how you treat them, although sometimes a cheap headphone is a cheap headphone and it just won't last no matter what you do, like the earbuds you get with iPhones.

ive had headphones for 7+ years and they still arent broken. they were a bit more money though.

I have $20 headphones I bought at least 20 years ago that are still good.

The way you treat things makes a difference.

• Tony B

I don't understand the thumb down. Does someone really think that the way you treat headphones doesn't make a difference?

Around 20 years, but my headphones were around $100. I probably only used them 1/5 of what you do.

You must be very clumsy.