How do I fix my peeling paint and crumbling concrete on my porch I'm in Michigan.?

I have bad peeling paint with multiple layers of paint. I bought the house this way. This year got really bad I was going to add another coat this summer, but decided that I want to remove all the old paint, patch the concrete, and repaint with fresh, new 1 layer of paint. How do I do this? Paint thinner, power washer, etc? A how to or experienced person would be so helpful. I'm in suburban Detroit, MI where weather is cold. Thanks in advance.

Favorite Answer

I'd start by renting a power washer. Our porch looked pretty similar, and a power washer did the trick for us. There were a few stubborn spots that required some muscle from a wire brush, but not many. The next step for us was to use some crack sealer - I'm pretty sure we used a Drylok product that came in a bottle and worked pretty well. We put down two coats of Drylok concrete sealant and then two coats of gray porch paint (Valspar, I think). It's lasted several years in Pittsburgh

• garnetshoe6 months agoReport

So use the crack sealer as a sealant for the entire porch before painting??

wash first a sprayer jet to really beat it up.... let dry well,,,coat every surface with equal parts linseed oil and turpentine,,,,,,,, the mix is a great primer sealer,,let it sit & dry for a few weeks,,then paint with oil base exterior paint of your choice,linseed & turp also are insect repellent

detergent soaps will dissolve concrete,

Certainly start with a pressure washer, that'll strip a surprising amount off. Do make sure it's completely and thoroughly dry before you start anything else. Damp cement is impossible to work with satisfactorily.

You will need to strip off all the old paint, prep and prime and then paint with the right paint.

I suggest you check with your local building supply or paint stores, try to find someone knowledgeable in your area who knows local conditions and locally available products.

As for concrete repairs...same answer. And find someone LOCAL to get advice from.

• Joseph

Things can be repainted, after a good scrape. Concrete needs to be replaced.

• A pressure washer would be good.

Then be sure to buy a paint designed for concrete, rather than just using house paint.

• gerald

with great difficulty this sort of thing is done with sand blasters it will take you back to solid surface then it needs cement rendering by a tradesman to a level surface you know water will be a nightmare don't you and it will not help the concrete be solid

Yep. Pressure wash it. Patch repair the holes and cracks with repair mortar. You can buy small tubs where you just add water. If there are hairline cracks I found that waterproof floor tile adhesive fills these well. Paint with a quality masonry paint to the colour of your choice. Two coats should last ten years.