My Nissan micra S 2005 power steering gone, please help?

I got into my car today and the ps light came on and the ps had gone. I've never had any problems with it before, this is the first time. I've tried a diagnostics tool on it and there was no fault code but i'm not 100% sure its compatible.

should I get a diagnostics mechanic ? or what should I do

• Neil

I think that generation of Micra (known as K12) has electrical power steering.

Therefore the problem is nothing to do with fluid, pumps or belts (as suggested by other answerers), but is more likely to be a failed fuse, loose wiring connection, or possibly a failed motor.

You will need to get a good local mechanic to check it out.

Make sure it has enough fluid. If so, it is likely a problem with the power steering pump (or belt to it), or a problem with the gear box itself. It is also possible that the rod connecting the steering pump to your steering disconnected or fell apart.

Check the level of fluid in the PS reservoir. It may have fallen too low. If it does need topping up you will need to drive the car very slowly turning the steering wheel fully from side to side. This will vent any trapped air and the steering assistance will return. If it's not low fluid you need to take it to a repair shop/garage and ask them to fix it. If you are in the UK I have found Halfords Auto centres (not the shops) to be honest,

Help you with what? Do you need us to tell you to get it repaired.

(or what should I do)( Get it repaired)

• Caz4 months agoReport

I just edited the question