Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 5 months ago

Law We were playing with a BB gun in my back yard.It went off and broke the neighbors window. Does a 15 year old have to pay for an accident?

The neighbors had a big hissy fit and they gave my parents a bill for $129 to fix there precious window.

Do we have to pay for an accident? The other neighbor said they should use there insuranse because that is what it is for to cover accidents..

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Technically, the 15 year old isn't legally required to pay for the accident; however, the parents of the fifteen year old are legally required to pay for it.

Even if the neighbor's insurance company pays them for the damages (it wouldn't because $129 would be well below their deductible), that insurance company would sue the parents for what it costs.

Just because someone else might have insurance doesn't mean that's free coverage for damage that you cause.

• sadie5 months agoReport

"Technically" and every other way, this advice is not true. A 15-year old is personally responsible in some States.

• 5 months ago

Parents aren't teaching their kids, like YOU, to take RESPONSIBILITY for their actions anymore ! You broke it, YOU bought it ! Give him the money and a heartfelt apology, THANKING him for his understanding !

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

YUP!

Accident or not, when damage is done to somebody's property, the property owner is legally entitled to reparations.

Not from "Their" insurance but from "Yours",, or cash will do just as well if you don't wanna get the insurance companies involved.

The alternative is of course small claims court, but in Your case if you're actually going to dispute the claim simply because it was an accident I suggest being Prepared to LOOSE!

Haven't you ever seen Judge Judy?

Just PAY and be grateful that your neighbors were reasonable enough to not call the police & press charges since in most suburban jurisdictions even firing a dumb BB gun in one's own back yard is Illegal as hell!

Trust me I've been there!

All it takes is a pissed-off neighbor to tell a 911 operator that their window was 'SHOT' with a bb-"GUN" and the cops can definitely respond with More than just One car and make a damned embarrassing viral-worthy spectacle of everything!

And being a SmartaSS to cops about it wont get you anything but your yard decorated with Crime-scene tape , cuffed & seated in the back-o-one of those cars while Cops talk it over with Parents for a few hours,

and with the "Least" of your problems, having to pay for a stupid window & totally kissing your BB gun goodbye!

• 5 months ago

Your parents need to pay for the window.

If someone broke your window and it was cold and raining, your window would be precious to you. So, stop your smug bullcrap sarcasm and pay for a new window.

The thing about you, a child, does not know about insurance is: there is a deductible. That means that the people who's window got shot at and broke, will have to pay for the window themselves with their own money because insurance does not pay for those lower costing things.

The BB gun did not just go "off". It was misused, mishandled or carelessly used. This is exactly why children should not have access to BB guns. What would have happened if it accidentally went into your eyeball?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 months ago

While it was an accident, you were also negligent in how you were playing with a potentially dangerous toy.

The deductible on any insurance would mean the insurance would not pay any part of a $129 claim. You broke it, you pay for the consequences.

Personally, I think you're trolling.

• 5 months ago

You were playong with the gun.. You pay it. Irrelevant that it was an accident. It was preventable by not playing with a gun in a residential area.

No, thats not what insurance is for. Theyd have to pay a deductible to use insurance.. And they'd have the rights to sue you for the deductible.. Then the insurance would also be within their rights to persue you for their costs.

• 5 months ago

What makes you think someone else has to pay for your accident? You broke it, as a minor, your parents are responsible for any damages you cause, accidental or not. I broke a couple of windows as a kid. I paid to replace them out of the money I had saved up.

The owner can file a claim with their insurance company, but most homeowners policies have deductibles - amounts that the owner must pay themselves before the insurance kicks in. Most homeowners policies have deductibles starting at $500 - it keeps the cost of the insurance lower. So it makes no sense for the owner to file a claim when insurance won't cover $129.

You pay it.

• Bill
      Lv 4
      5 months agoReport

Good answer.

The window owner could file an insurance liability claim against your parent's homeowners insurance for the full amount, and collect. Ask your parents if they want their insurance involved as they would be asking some interesting questions.

• Bill
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

They can use insurance if the deductible isn't more than the bill, and then the insurance company can sue the parents.

• Eva
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

Insurance won't cover a bill that small as it's less than their deductible. Accident or not, you damaged someone else's property and are responsible for fixing it.

• STEVEN F
      Lv 7
      5 months agoReport

Even if their insurance paid initially, the insurance company will seek to recover from whoever actually caused the damage.

• 5 months ago

You should pay for it. Making an insurance claim might raise their premiums.

You are lucky if that neighbor doesn't lodge a complaint with the cops as firing a BB gun within city limits is illegal in many cities.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

If you don't pay then they can sue.... and win. Or they could file with their insurance company and the insurance company will come after you... you still pay.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.