promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationInsurance & Registration · 9 months ago

If I get in an accident with a newly purchased car while leaving the dealership, is it covered?

Is it true that any car you buy is automatically covered by your current insurance whether you notified them or not?

Update:

I FOUND THE ANSWER!!!!

"New car insurance grace period -

Insurers will typically allow you to have a grace period to add your new car to your existing policy. Progressive allows 30 days. That means if you have a claim within that period, your new car is still covered the same way your previous vehicle was."

Update 2:

That's why it's important to double check to make sure you have comprehensive and collision. If your policy doesn't have these coverages (meaning it only has liability), then any physical damage to your new vehicle will not be covered until you officially add the vehicle, along with physical damage coverage. And even if you currently have physical damage coverage, it will be removed after that grace period unless you add the vehicle."

31 Answers

Relevance
  • zipper
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

Only if you have insurance on it, did you transfer the coverage or not?

• Commenter avatarLog in to reply to the answers
  • 9 months ago

The dealer will tell yu maybe or may say yes to make a sale.. To be sure call your insurance company before signing the final contract with the dealer ONLY the insurance company can tell you if you are covered or not and for how long. Much will be based on HOW long you have been with the company and what kind of insurance you have. A new car if you are making payments is required to have FULL COVERAGE and if all you have is Basic Liability you may not be covered.. Its easy to pick up your cell phone and give them a call.. The Insurance company has people answering 24 hours a day..

• 9 months ago

Call the number on your insurance card and let them know you bought a vehicle before you take it home. I wouldn't be guessing or assuming anything!

• May
    Lv 6
    9 months ago

No of course it is not true.

Nobody buys insurance for your car but YOU. It is only "covered" (insured) if *YOU* insure it.

Are you living in a dream world?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Phil M
    Lv 7
    9 months ago

Going by the wide range of answers here, and the wide range of laws, why risk it when you can call, or go online and add the vehicle in just a few minutes. Where I live you have a few days to add a new vehicle.

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

False.......You have to add your new car to your insurance BEFORE you drive off the lot.

• 9 months ago

Contact your insurance company. Should have a 24/7 number to get coverage for a new car.

By law, if you drive a vehicle on the street, you must have coverage for liability at least. Be safe and sure. Don't take advice from idiots on Internet (and I hope I am not one of them).

• Eva
    Lv 5
    9 months ago

No. You have to have your insurance in place for that vehicle before it can be registered. You need to notify your insurance company before you pick up the vehicle.

• opinionated
      Lv 7
      9 months agoReport

you do have a period of time before you need to register the car with the state

• Anonymous
    9 months ago

Yes, you get a grace period of a few days so you have time to contact your insurance company and add it to your policy.

• 9 months ago

i would hope so, i would ask the dealership about it

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.