If I get in an accident with a newly purchased car while leaving the dealership, is it covered?

Is it true that any car you buy is automatically covered by your current insurance whether you notified them or not?
Update: I FOUND THE ANSWER!!!! "New car insurance grace period - Insurers will typically allow you to have a grace period to add your new car to your existing policy. Progressive allows 30 days. That means if you have a claim within that period, your new car is still covered the same way your previous vehicle was." show more I FOUND THE ANSWER!!!!

"New car insurance grace period -

Insurers will typically allow you to have a grace period to add your new car to your existing policy. Progressive allows 30 days. That means if you have a claim within that period, your new car is still covered the same way your previous vehicle was."
Update 2: That's why it's important to double check to make sure you have comprehensive and collision. If your policy doesn't have these coverages (meaning it only has liability), then any physical damage to your new vehicle will not be covered until you officially add the vehicle, along with physical damage... show more That's why it's important to double check to make sure you have comprehensive and collision. If your policy doesn't have these coverages (meaning it only has liability), then any physical damage to your new vehicle will not be covered until you officially add the vehicle, along with physical damage coverage. And even if you currently have physical damage coverage, it will be removed after that grace period unless you add the vehicle."
32 answers 32