If my MD vehicle registration is expired, and I'm moving to SC next week, how do I register this vehicle in SC?

Do I still NEED to be registered in Maryland prior to trying to register in South Carolina? Is there a penalty for trying to register in South Carolina with expired tags?

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You only need your MD title to transfer to a SC title. But it takes awhile. If you want to drive for a month with expired tags it is up to you.

• May
    Lv 5
    6 months ago

It does not have to be registered in MD in order to be registered in your new (SC) state.

However.....If the registration (license plates) has expired when you move the car to SC, you should transport it by truck to avoid a ticket for non registration.

• Der6 months agoReport

its being pulled by a hitch yeah

• bo
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

the SCDMV website has all the answers.

• Ron
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

SC doesn't give 2 shits about it. How do you propose driving there with expired tags?

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

i would call the dmv and ask them about it

• 6 months ago

It is illegal to drive on public roads without the vehicle being registered. So you are already breaking the law. It does not matter where you get it registered but you need to do it ASAP. I would go to SC next week and be "surprised" when they tell you your registration is expired. You might get away with it without a fine.

• 6 months ago

Contact the South Carolina DMV about your situation.

http://www.scdmvonline.com/Contact

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

the car HAS to be registered SOMEPLACE if you want to drive it from MD to SC.........

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.