Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationBuying & Selling · 6 months ago

Car advice? Anyone know what I can do?

Okay so in October of 2018 I purchased a hyundai from a hyundai dealership here in town. It was used. They showed me the car and that was that I fell in love with it. Ever since I got the car i noticed when I would get around 65 miles an hour my car would completely shake. I took it in they said it was my tires not being balanced. I did everything so i took it back because the problem continued. I now find out that my engine mount is completely warn out and has been warn out since I practically bought the car. The dealership never mentioned any problems with my car when I purchased it. Hasn t even been a year yet. Is it worth taking it to the dealership and seeing if they can do anything, or is that just wasting time. Thanks

Favorite Answer

You bought a used car. They often need repairs from time to time. Its not a real expensive repair. Relax. If its $200-300, you might have to save up over a period of a few months. In the meantime, don't go over 60.

Step 1 when it comes to car buying - NEVER 'fall in love' with a car (or if you do - absolutely do not let the salesman know - although they can generally sense it).

Step 2 is to ALWAYS take any potential purchase out for a thorough test drive - and make sure to get it up to speed on a freeway or interstate. When you come back, leave it running, and glance under the hood (and under the car) for any leaks, or noises - ideally, take it to a mechanic for a once over (get quotes - but it's usually around $75 - it's not a guarantee, but they can sometimes catch big $$ items).

As far as what to do now - since it was doing it when you bought it and they lied and told you it was unbalanced tires - I would take it back to the dealership and ask to speak with the owner. This will generally get you a manager who will throw the 'used - as-is' line in your face.

Search on Google to see if the state where you live has 'lemon laws' in effect that prevent a car dealership from selling a car with a known problem without disclosing it to the buyer. If your state does have these laws - respond to the 'used as-is' line by telling them that you want them to take the car back and issue a 100% refund.

(This will all be met with uproarious laughter on the part of the salespeople/managers - so if you aren't a particularly forceful person, you might want to bring along some violent friends to let them know you are serious).

Hopefully they will back down and fix the broken motor mount - or at least give you a reasonable discounted price. If, after your best efforts, they will not, then take the car to some mechanics and get quotes for fixing it (the dealership will be the most expensive option).

Then submit a copy of the bill to the dealership and demand that they reimburse you for the repair (this will be met again with laughter/derision). Continue to contact the dealership from time to time and demand payment (with interest) and in the meantime, post as many bad reviews of the dealership as possible, and deride them to anyone who will listen.

I bought a vehicle one time that seemed to be 100%, but within a few days the power steering pump started making noise. I took it back to the dealership and told them I wanted it fixed - for free, or for them to take the car back and refund my money. They did exactly what I described - the used car manager actually pretended like I wasn't there. After speaking with their new car manager, they decided it was in their best interest to at least take a look at it.

It turned out all it needed was to have the power steering line bled (air in the line was causing noise at the pump), but because their used car manager decided to be a jerk, they actually offered to replace the pump and high pressure line and all I had to pay for was the parts.

I declined (since I could do it for far less), and it never had a problem the rest of the time I had the car.

• ?

You didn't mention the model year of your USED car, but I'm guessing that the factory warranty has expired. You have owned the car for nearly a year, so whatever warranty the dealer had provided has also expired. It's YOUR car and YOUR problem! Get it fixed before it gets worse!

< October of 2018 >

Forget this, this is your cost to fix. You should have had the car checked out by YOUR mechanic rather than relying on the dealer. Especially after a year, they are not going to do anything.

< that I fell in love with it >

That was your first mistake. You were willing to overlook stuff and having a proper check done on the vehicle before you bought it.

Things breaks on cars. This car is more than likely still under factory warranty. Take it back to the dealer for repair.

• nt

Probably not still under factory warranty for a motor mount.

• Erik

You can get it fixed. There's a chance the dealership will help you with that, if not, just pay for it yourself. It's not a huge repair. And it's worn, not warn.