What can I do about condensation between double-glazed windows?

Hello all I have found that I have two windows which have been developing condensation in between the glass panels. Is this usual for double glazed windows? As I have never seen this happen before, I had suspected that they may have a gap allowing for the water vapour to get in – is there any ways to fix this or at least keep the glass clean enough? If this isn’t repairable and needs replacement – is there any causes that could prevent it happening again? Thanks

UPDATE: Thanks all for support. What I've read here correlates with a tradesman on https://www.myjobquote.co.uk/ and a glazier is fixing this for me.

Favorite Answer

This should never exist because double-glazed windows are supposed to have a vacuum between panes. The vacuum is a way of insulating the home from air leakage. Somehow the vacuum has failed.

If the windows are still within the manufacturer's warranty, contact them. If not, check with a glazier who may have a solution for this.

• Stephen5 months agoReport

This was how I started to view it not long after I posted this. Got properties with issues. So I need a pro. I'd put a question on the a job quote board https://www.priceyourjob.co.uk/. About to pull it down as the answers clarified next move, check warranty, consider a glazier otherwise.

the 'somehow they get broken seals' is caused by this

cut glass measured for the respective customer,more than likely paid before assembly starts,is placed on a carpeted heavy wood table,,'cleaned' with

the house mixture of blue windex like glass cleaner,with a towel,,,,,,

unh unhunhunh. bad,,the step all of them need to apply is using glazers pumice boiled clean cotton rags, a small bucket of warm water,glass is coated with filmy plastic beads,looks like just a bit of dust all over,this grit has to be removed,until the glass is squeaky clean,,it literally squeaks when this grit is removed,,the plastic beads prevent cases of 600 lbs of large glass sheets from shattering during the long trip from where the glass is rolled & cut to shpg sizes,,,,,, most glass window outfits use the same technique,make the same goof,the nasty smelling grey adhesive

encasing the 2 glass sheets fails quickly,a 30k$ order of new house windows may have3 or 4 like yours,,1100 bucks you have to blow 3 years after the window guys finish up & pack tools in the van a & head out back to the factoria or stop for a beer

home owners ought to raise hell with these guys,all you get is 'sorrysorrysorry for your difficulty what can we do to help fix this??

the response you usally get when you mention this is the dumb dog on bugs bunny going

duhhhhh?

Those windows have lost their seal, so the insulating factor is also gone. They need replacing. It is suppose to be a permanent seal but somehow that was broken. You only can buy it as a sealed unit.,,of 2 glass sheets with ozone or some other gas inbetween. Not a fixable thing. Just replace. Maybe the window frame shrunk and pinched the seal...I don't know. Ask the glass shop.

• Stephen5 months agoReport

Yes, I spoke to a glazier.

It's fairly unusual so it shouldn't happen again with replacement glass. Look for glass with a long warranty.

This should be warranted by the manufacturer, contact them.

There is no way for you to fix this yourself.

• y

Has to be resealed, a vacuum pulled, then whatever gas that manufacture uses, pumped in. Homeowners don't have a lot of options, nor the right equipment to fix them properly.

• Tavy

I have one window the same. All I can do is replace it, but as it's in a spare room I've left it.

UK.

• geezer

You should never get condensation between the sheets of glass in a double glazed window.

There shouldn't be any kind of gap to let vapour in or out .. it should be a sealed unit.

It's the vacuum between the sheets of glass that keeps the cold out in the winter.

If they are new then call the company who fitted them back .. and get them replaced.

If not you need to get someone, who knows what they are doing, to re-seal them.

• Sal*UK

They are "blown" the glass panels need replacing

• Teva

The units have failed. There is no longer a vacuum between the sheets of glass. There's not much you can do about it, they all fail After time because the seals don't last forever. If they're less than a couple of years old I'd go back to whoever fitted them. They need replacing.