Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 6 months ago

Is a Visa and a passport the same thing?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • Foofa
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Nope. A passport is issued to you by your own country and a visa is something another country gives you so that you can visit, study or live there.

• Lisa A
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No. A passport is from your own country. It is your country vouching for who you are. A visa you get from another country that you want to visit. It is permission to enter that country.

• RICK
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No they are not the same

Others have pointed out the differences so no point in me being redundant

• 6 months ago

Passport is issued by your country of citizenship & is proof of that citizenship.

A visa is issued by a country you wish to enter, and allows you to go to that country for your specific purpose. There are different types of visas, depending on your purpose for entering that country & duration of time you wish to remain - e.g. tourist, student, employment, etc. Even with a visa, when interviewed by immigration authorities at border control, you can be denied entry if you don't meet requirements, e.g. you lack sufficient funds for all typical tourist expenses when arriving on tourist visa.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • ?
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Absolutely Not. One allows you to leave your country of Origin.

The other is issued by the countries you wish to visit to allow

you entry to their nation.

• Maxi
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No........................

• 6 months ago

No. A passport is issued by your government as proof that your are a citizen. A visa is issued by another country granting you permission to enter that country.

• Nancy
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

No, they aren't the same thing. A visa is something that is in your passport or accompanies your passport. Usually, when you get a visa, documentation of that visa is put on one of the many blank pages of your passport by the authorizing official. So, if I'm American, I get my passport from the United States government, but if I want to travel to Brazil, for example, then my visa comes from Brazil, normally via a Brazilian consulate that they've located in the United States.

Basically, your passport is the document that gets you back into your home country, whereas your visa is the document that gets you into the country you want to visit. Your visa is usually in your passport because you'll need your passport to get back home and other countries generally accept foreign passports as proof of identification, proof that the visa they've issued is actually yours.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

No. Although VISA is a credit card, you refer to permission to enter a foreign country. A passport is issued to identify you as a citizen.

• 6 months ago

Do you even know what both are?

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.