Can a job fire you after you put your two weeks notice? / should your last check be provided on the day your employer fires you?

I put my 2 weeks in at my job yesterday and I told them that I would still work the shifts I had for those last 2 weeks. I was scheduled to work today so as usual I got ready and left my house early before my shift started. I got a call just as I parked my car into the parking lot of where I work and it was my... show more I put my 2 weeks in at my job yesterday and I told them that I would still work the shifts I had for those last 2 weeks. I was scheduled to work today so as usual I got ready and left my house early before my shift started. I got a call just as I parked my car into the parking lot of where I work and it was my manager informing me that my resignation had been received and that I wouldn’t be needed to work the shifts I had been scheduled for, she also included that my check would be ready by Monday for me to pick up. I don’t know how the whole resignation/firing process fully works but people are telling me that they should’ve provided my check right then and there! this was my first job and I don’t the nearest clue of what to do next?