Tv as a computer monitor?

I’ve had an emerson 32 inch tv but i literally never use it. we don’t even have cable because we don’t watch tv. it’s practically brand new. i want to get into the pc gaming world and i figured “why don’t i just use my tv as a monitor??” because my best friend plays on a 55 inch. it’s amazing and it works perfect for him. i was wondering if my tv would work for this as well. i plan on buying a gaming pc, and i know there are certain things you need to play certain games. i plan on playing apex legends, sims, fortnite, things like that. will it freeze and lag all the time? will it be blurry? or is it just crucial on what pc i buy? please keep rude comments to yourself. i know NOTHING of the gaming world.

using a tv a moniter for a high end gaming isn't that good idea as it will have a long input delay. but if you don't take play games with the intention to become great at it but instead to have fun a tv will be fine.

Hdmi cord is all ypu need.

• stan l

Your friend may have a good TV. An Emerson is a long way from being a good TV.

see the tv's owner's manual [its online if lost] for how to set it up to function as a computer monitor. older tvs likely can't do this, but many built in last ten or more years can

A TV should work fine. However, you might need to enable a "Game mode" on the TV. Some TVs try to "enhance" the image through some weird (and usually ineffective) methods. This adds some delay to the image while it is processing. For regular TV/movie viewing, it isn't noticeable. However, for gaming, especially competitive games, it can become very annoying as you push a button on your keyboard and there is a noticeable delay in when the action happens.

As far as the games freezing/lagging goes, it depends on your hardware you have. If you have low-end PC hardware, then your games will most likely lag and/or have some stuttering. You might need to lower the graphic settings and find a balance between quality and performance. However, the TV will not cause massive delays; it might be noticeable, but it shouldn't be excessive.

The vast majority of graphics cards from the past decade or so come with at least 1 HDMI output. You simply plug in your HDMI cable from the graphics card to your TV and that should be it.

• Master Of Puppets

Usually just enabling game mode can help. Every TV is different, so I can't tell you exactly where to go to enable that setting. You'll have to look in the manual to find it.

So long as you have an HDMI output on your computer.....and your TV has an HDMI input....then it will be super easy to make the connection.

I currently use a Samsung 32" Smart TV as a PC monitor. Not my first choice (don't like Samsung's picture quality) but it works well.

• skeptic

It doesn't hurt to try it, since you already own the TV. I don't have a problem with blurriness or lag, but just the colors that this TV produces. I had an LG TV before it (broke it, lol) and it had an awesome picture. The Emerson's have a decent picture....from the ones I've seen.

it will all depend on the TV that you have and the clarity of that TV. Its easy to try the TV with your computer before you spend the money on a new computer. Just get a laptop and an HDMI cable if your pc has that port. Then plug it into the laptop. Most business laptops have that ability or a VGA capability.