How can I get a lock to turn all the way?

I have a door with a lock above doorknob that won't turn all the way when I put the key in. I can't go and buy any lubricant. What can I try to fix this?

With the door open, does the key turn?

Yes?

The hole (strike plate) is misaligned.

No?

Remove it from the door.

Bring it to a locksmith.

Pull on the door knob at the same time as you turn the key. If you have rubber seals it could be held open that little bit. I would rather have a door that is pushing against the seals so it is an air tight fit...rather than letting the cold or heat in past the crack.

• y

Sounds like the door has shifted just enough so the latch, doesn't line up with the hole anymore. Put carbon paper, chalk, a dab of paint on the end of the latch. Turn the key until it stops, then open the door to see where it lines up.

Say to yourself "Today I *can* go and buy lubricant". Hope this helped.

Push or pull on the door while you try turning. The deadbolt may be binding, and maybe the door just needs to be in better alignment with the jam for it to slide freely. Not sure if it is towards you or away. Just play with it.

If that doesn't work, there may be something broken inside. You may have to take it apart.

Have you try spit. It’s the devil’s lubricant. It has some mucous so it makes it kind of slippery.

• Greg

Olive oil, salad oil, personal lubricant, dish soap, jiggling.