How do I remove a Moen single shower lever handle that is stuck?

I'm trying to replace the cartridge in the shower but to get to it, I need to remove the lever handle. I've already removed the set screw from the lever handle but the handle doesn't want to come off. I've put WD-40 and vinegar behind the handle to loosen it but it doesn't budge. There doesn't seem to be any corrosion behind the handle either. I'm trying to pry it off but I'm afraid I'm going to damage it. Is there something else that can help me take the lever off easily without damaging anything?

I've already searched up how-to videos and the first step is to remove the set screw from the lever handle and the handle is suppose to come off easily, but not mine. It is completely stuck.

I think I'm going to use a hacksaw to remove the lever handle. I've tried everything and it does not want to come off.

• roger

There is a n shaped clip on the top of the valve.

here is a link to a video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyBTL7GugHo

Youtube thumbnail

here is one for the shower valve

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkzT7UpuxNM

Youtube thumbnail

note the U clip that you have to remove.....

if the handle is metal, like i suspect, it won't be a problem. however, in order to protect the shower wall, esp. if it is tile, you need to cut a 1.25 inch wide slot into a piece of thin plywood and slide it behind the handle ... then you pry against the plywood, not the shower wall. oh, yes -- and squirt your WD-40 directly into the set screw hole

Source(s): grampa

Spray some WD40 in the set screw hole and just keep moving the handle up and down and left and right until it finally comes loose. If that doesn't work then you may have to buy a new house.

• John

Searching for "Moen single shower lever handle" brought up several how-to videos. I suggest you watch whatever is closest to your faucet and see if you are missing something. They aren't usually particularly difficult.

You might need a torch to heat it.