Do I have to pay for both internet and WiFi?

So I am moving into an apartment and was wondering what I was gonna have to pay. So at my house now my family pays for internet through spectrum and we also bought a WiFi router with netgear. We only have smart TVs and laptops so do we need both the internet and the WiFi router? Or can we use the WiFi router and get rid of the internet we pay for?

And please explain why or why not so we have a better understanding lol.

When I move out I need to know if I need to get monthly internet or if I can just buy WiFi router.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • GTB
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

A router is the interface between your ISP's modem and your Local Area Network (LAN). Your LAN has a mix of wired and wireless connections commonly called "Wi Fi" If you wish to link to the LAN via a wireless connection you connect to the wireless access point (the component that has the wireless radio that provides you the "Wi Fi") wirelessly and the wireless access point links you to the Router which links you to the rest of the LAN on the private side of the router and to the Internet through the public side of the router. However if the router public side is not connected to an Internet Source using an Ethernet protocol you have no Internet. The Internet Service Provider (ISP) of your choice, to whom you pay a fee, provides the Internet feed and usually uses a modem. Sometimes the ISP uses a modem / router; sometimes you can save a lot of money by installing your own modem.

• Roddy
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

Technically, you do not pay for wifi. As others have explained, in order to be able to use the internet you must pay an ISP )Internet Service Provider) for this. They may, or may not provide you with a modem/router. Most who do charge a one-off fee for the device and you can, if you wish, buy your own anyway.

Nearly all routers these days include the facility to not only serve several ethernet ports but also supply a wifi link for use around your house. You don't pay (monthly) for the wifi and you own the equipment that provides it.

Wifi alone will enable you to run a network around the house, but will not let you link to the internet - you need the service from an ISP for that.

• 5 months ago

Ok - it depends :p

If you want an internet connection, you'll need to pay for it. Strictly speaking, that connection ends at the plug at the building - be it DSL, Cable, fiber or anything else.

Next step is you'll need a box that goes into that plug and converts whatever is running through the plug into Ethernet (and occasionally a couple of phone lines). Usually, that box is a modem, although it may be something else in special cases (e.g. FTTH). Depending on where you live, that modem will be supplied by your ISP (Internet Service Provider) or you can supply your own (but have to configure it according to the instructions from your ISP). So, depending on this, the modem may be included in your monthly internet fee, rented seperately or paid by yourself.

Since most modems are pretty simple on the ethernet end, you'll also need a router after that. That router will provide you with multiple ethernet ports and a (one) WiFi access point. It might be combined with the modem or not, and you might wish to add one yourself in any case (when e.g. the WiFi part of the modem from your ISP doesn't do what you want to do). So, depending on what your ISP provides and what you actually want, one WiFi access point may be included in your monthly fee to the ISP (it usually is) or not.

And finally, if you want to run more than one access point (e.g. because the one on the router is too far away/too weak to reach your favourite seat on the porch), you're completely on your own, i.e. you need to buy the corresponding hardware and set it up (or pay or otherwise entice someone else to do so).

So, you pay a monthly fee to your ISP for your internet connection. That fee may or may not include a router which may or may not supply WiFi to your home which may or may not suffice for your needs.

For private users, the _usual_ configuration would be that your monthly paid service includes a box with a combined modem/router/WiFi access point that is to a large part remotely administered by your ISP.

• 5 months ago

If you want internet, you have to pay for internet. The internet comes to you via a modem. Depending on your service provider, the modem may also have a router with Wifi built into it. The router is how you form a local network, where you can share files with any device hooked up to the network via cables or Wifi. The router also shares the internet from the modem with any device hooked up via cable or WiFi. Often times you can buy your own modem/router to save the monthly rental fee, where often it pays for itself in less than a year. You just have to make sure it is compatible with your Internet Service Provider where they usually offer a list of compatible models. You don't really pay for the Wifi unless you count buying the router or renting it.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 5 months ago

Spectrum is going to provide you with a modem that will provide 1 (just 1) Ethernet port. If you have laptops and smart TVs you are going to need more than 1 Ethernet port. The router (which all included WiFi these days) is going to give you those extra Ethernet ports you need. So you MUST buy(or rent from Spectrum) a router to connect more than one device to the Spectrum modem. So you might as well use the WiFi so you don't have to have cables running all over the place.

All WiFi does is replace the need for Ethernet cables, it doesn't have any other purpose or provide any other capabilities - despite what you think.

• Eva
    Lv 4
    5 months ago

You need both. The internet service runs from the street to your house. The router distributes the signal from where it comes into the house to the rest of your devices. Without the router you can only have one device attached via an ethernet cable.

• Sam
    Lv 7
    5 months ago

The router/modem is just to connect to the internet, you cant magically get internet without it. You need to buy the router, which is then yours, and you pay monthly for the internet service.

Your monthly bills will be:

Rent

Internet bill (thats at&t dsl or cable, etc. Unless you dont want to have this).

Electric bill (Usually that includes the sewer / water as part of it)

TV bill (If you want satellite or cable, you can also just get antenna and get some channels free without paying anything).

Cellphone bill

Food bill.

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

Yes, you need an Internet connection; WiFi router is optional. https://www.cnet.com/how-to/home-networking-explai...

• Anonymous
    5 months ago

just the 'net. YOU can set-up your own WiFi system ................

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.