Oral surgeon wants to put my daughter to sleep for a simple tooth extraction?

My 9 year old daughter is calm and is not anxious while in the chair at the dentist. We were referred out to a new dental surgeon for a baby tooth extraction. The surgeon wants to give her general anesthesia and put her to sleep rather than just giving her local anesthesia at the site. It's going to cost me an... show more My 9 year old daughter is calm and is not anxious while in the chair at the dentist. We were referred out to a new dental surgeon for a baby tooth extraction. The surgeon wants to give her general anesthesia and put her to sleep rather than just giving her local anesthesia at the site. It's going to cost me an additional $400 out of pocket just for the anesthesia because my insurance won't cover it. Is putting her to sleep really necessary for a simple tooth extraction or is this so that the office can make more money? I remember having a stubborn baby tooth extracted when I was a kid and was only given Novocaine. I never felt a thing. My other daughter also had an infected baby tooth extracted by a different surgeon when she was about 9 years old and she too was only given Novocaine.