Jonatan asked in PetsCats · 6 months ago

I cleaned my cat in the sink, and know its mad.?

She is was very dirty from being out in the pouring rain and the mud. I decided to clean her up a bit, but with only water cuz i dont want to risk her getting soap in her mouth. Afterwards, she started scrathing and making weird sounds! Does cleaning her hurt? I was very careful! Do i call the vet or is it normal for them to be mad?

Please help!!!

• patty

I think she will be ok. she has never had a bath b4

I would not recommend bathing an older or unhealthy cat for the first time, as it can be really traumatic for them and might endanger their health.

Some things I’ve learned:

Keep the bathroom door closed. The cat will bolt immediately if it can.

Use a hand-wand sprayer, if you have one. I promise it will make everything easier.

Keep the water warm, but not hot. Also, keep the pressure on the low side. This will help keep your kitty from freaking out too much.

Avoid spraying their face. If you value your skin, you won’t do it.

Be gentle and talk in a soothing tone the entire time.

Have towels ready to rub them dry, and shut the doors to anywhere else in the house you don’t want them to get wet.

Consider giving them a treat after it’s all done to reinforce that the bath was not punishment.

Some cats are afraid of water and some hate the feeling. You can purchase cat wipes or a waterless shampoo for your cat at most any store like Walmart.

My cat had a tub bath today long fur she walks slowly away. Sneakily hut I am watching her and keeping her back. She didn't like being wet she shook off her paws like a dog.

No she will be fine. She hates water

• Ocimom

Its just upset about getting all wet. The cat will be fine.

• PAMELA

Cats clean themselves, they hate being bathed, sometimes a cat will die of shock while being bathed.

next time dry her off and leave her alone. she will clean her self as all cats do.

• audrey

She's just mad. She'll get over it.

Your cat's reaction is perfectly normal. Cats hate being in water. Cats hate being forced into water and being cleaned by humans (even their owners) even more. And, yes cats carry grudges for a long time.

• Jonatan6 months agoReport

Oh ok! I was scared that i might have hurt it in some way! Is it ok too clean with soap too? If so, how do i do it correctly?