How should I handle this?

I worked for my job for 6 months. I quit there almost 2 weeks ago. I was supposed to get a paycheck for a week worth. I went in there yesterday and my paycheck "didn't come in". They tried claiming at first that I didn't work then they said it's getting mailed but they won't give me any information on when it's getting mailed. They won't even call me, they're only texting me.

Contact your state labor department

Go or call the labor board or unemployment office in your city. Complain. Give them the name and address of the company.

I would wait more than just two weeks. After three weeks, if you still do not have it, then file a complaint with the state agency that handles unpaid wage complaints in your state.

Different states have different laws on handling final paychecks. Some require it to be paid on your last day of work, others just require it to be paid on the next regular payday. I'm not aware of any that allow a company to pay it when it's convenient for them.

https://smallbusiness.findlaw.com/employment-law-a...

Look up your state. If your company is not following the law and you are feeling generous to them, text them with the legal requirements and that if you don't have your check by xxx, you will be filing a complaint with your state's department of labor. Many states take wage theft claims seriously. If you aren't feeling generous, file a complaint if they haven't complied with the law and then them deal with the state when they call.

When my last company closed our office and laid everyone off, they had paychecks for us on the last day. I asked them about that as WA state (where the office is located) only requires pay checks to be paid on the next scheduled payday. They replied that to avoid problems and trying to keep track of the requirements in 50 different states they paid everyone their last pay check on their next pay day.

• Judy

Report this to your state department of labor if you don't get it within another week. Most states let you make a report on their website.

I'd give it another week, but they do tend to mail them out rather than hold them in the stores.

you could try talking to the labor board about it

Contact the labor board in your state. I had a similar issue with a company I had worked for.

The labor board handled it and handled it fast. I had my check within 10 days.

Good luck.