Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Computers & InternetComputer Networking · 7 months ago

What is this device connected to my wifi?

I changed the password and it kicked off all the devices and I reconnected my laptop so only 1 device should be connected. the first connection has a MAC number but no ip address, so assuming it s supposed to be there but does anyone know what it is?

• Roddy

On many routers, if you go through the admin interface and look at the wifi page, it will show all the devices that your router knows about, even if they are not currently actually connected or switched on. That would account for the lack of an IP address since that is only known for active devices.

• P

Could be the mac address of the router itself, the cable modem, or some other device connected by wire. If it doesn't have an IP maybe it's a device trying to connect and your router just happens to show that.

Well I have no idea what device it is. You can perform a MAC lookup. I use this site: https://aruljohn.com/mac.pl

It will tell you the manufacturer of the device; it won't tell you what device it is, however. If you know for a fact you don't have that manufacturer, then I strongly recommend changing the Wi-Fi and router password again.