Should i move for the job?

I have been offered a new job that requires relocation. Its a promotion, career progression, etc. If i stay put at my current job, i will not progress and could face redundancy.

Sounds great right? Except i'm a homebody. I dont want to re-locate. I want to stay put right here where my life is. Over time, i have worked my way round to doing it reluctantly. As if i dont have a choice.

I am now close to accepting the job and moving. But i still grt anxiety, panic attacks about doing it and will need to return home every fortnight to avoid home sickness. I feel like i will do it for 3 years, then hand my notice in and come home.

Any advice? Im 30, single, but want to settle in my hometown, not this new location.

Favorite Answer

I'd suggest you, and only you, have to make the decision about this new job vs one that seems to be insecure at least. You can always plan to return to your roots at some time in the future. Seems like a no brainer to me. But I'm not you.

Source(s): Somebody who switched COUNTRY with my husband who was head-hunted. And when it didn't exactly work out, returned 'home'.
    • Life5 months agoReport

Wow, would love to know more about your story!!??

For most people taking the new job would provide the greatest benefit. Making ANY kind of major change is always frightening and the bigger the change the more frightening it is. Nobody wants to re-locate but it is important to keep moving "up the ladder". Take the job and relocate. If you hate it you can move back but I bet you will not move back unless it is to advance to the next level.

• Katie

NO - stay in your home town (in a perfect world I would NEVER leave the village where I live - everyone should work and shop within walking or cycling distance of where they live).

• Marla

Take the job and see how it goes. One of the key factors for success is to be flexible and adaptable. Many people end stuck in dead-end or menial jobs because they are too attached to the town they grew up on, or their local friends, or family, or a property.

Nowadays it’s very easy to travel, there are many communication tools, and you can stay in touch.

If you really like your hometown, use this new job as a temporary stepping stone to a better job and maybe one day you can return.

Go for it. Maybe you'll figure that you're not such a homebody and you enjoy it. With facing a layoff, sounds like the right thing to do.

• keerok

Move.

You know it's what's best for you. Whatever you're worrying about, it's all in the mind. You can overcome it. Whatever happens when you take on the new job, your life will change and you can make it for the better.

Your new job as a **** mop monkey at the porno theater would be worth though.

• Tavy

There is no problem about returning home every few weeks. Students do it, my son did it when he was at a Uni 300 miles away from home. Take the job and spend some weekends and holidays at home. No big deal is it ?

Do it! Don’t let anxiety control your life, take the new opportunity and embrace the change. You’ll have a new home time be a home- body in and meet great new people whilst doing a job you like

A good book to read is “feel the fear and do it anyways” - will give good tips and techniques to calm the anxiety and take the challenge.