Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMusicClassical · 3 months ago

My violin’s label is fake, but the quality of the violin is impeccable?

The label of the violin says “Ettore Soffritti 1923” and it’s plainly fake. It doesn’t even look like a good quality fake label! But, the violin itself is fantastic. It has a rich yet sweet sound that, personally, sounds better than some strands. When I pluck a string it rings for about 12 seconds (sound fading the whole time but not completely). I love this violin and I play it every day, but I want to get it appraised for insurance value. It’s not a Soffritti but it could be something else, right? Even if it’s not a “well known maker” it is the best violin I’ve heard and such a beautiful one too. It has sentimental value and I wouldn’t trade it for the world.. I’d just like to know.

What is a 'strand'? When have you ever been in a room where a Stradivarius was being played, to say that yours sounds 'better'?

Search for violin appraisers. Inquire first about the fee. And perhaps start with a more local and humble violin shop, before you swan into a fancy place, only to be told that your beloved violin might be Special to you, but it's no big deal.

• Me2

If there's a question here, I missed it...