I have a family history of diabetes does this mean I'm likely to get it?

More immidiately my mom has it. Even if I pay close attention to diet does this mean I'm likely to get it?

No. It means you may be MORE LIKELY to develop it. My mother and sister both were Type 2 D., my sister progressed to insulin inj. and I was told that even had I been rail thin (which I was until well into my 30s) I'd probably have been the same, eventually. And I'm not morbidly over-weight now even.

On the other hand, as far as known, there are no close relatives who were/are Diabetic in my husband's family but he now has this.

• Shay

It means you have ONE of the MANY risk factors that means you MIGHT develop diabetes.

Since you KNOW that diabetes is in your heredity, it means you should probably be a little more careful to reduce the risk factors that you can control.

You can control your diet, your weight, and your level of activity. Having a healthy, active life style can reduce several of your risks.

It doesn't mean you will get it, I am type 2 diabetic and no parents, siblings or grand parents ever had it.

It's not for sure that you'll get diabetes. In fact it tends to skip a generation.

What you should do is to get your blood sugar tested once in a while. Every couple of years is enough. If you get regular medical checkups it will definitely be included. But if not, your mom, or any other diabetic you know, probably has a glucometer (a gizmo to measure blood sugar) and would be happy to test you.

If your blood sugar starts creeping up, you can begin eating/exercising like a diabetic. Low carbs, regular exercise (like walking for 45 min. 3x a week, or riding a bicycle). Then if you do become diabetic, you won't have already done some damage to yourself.

Long-term high blood sugar causes horrible 'complications'--like kidney failure, blindness, gangrene and amputation, etc. MANY diabetics don't know they're diabetic until they've already done some damage. So it would be good to know ahead of time and take measures. Blood sugar control is done through diet and exercise. And this is good for a healthy person too, so there's no downside risk to behaving like a diabetic even if you aren't one.

I'm diabetic myself. My mom's parents' generation had it, not my own parents. I thought it was like the end of life, but really, if I'm careful about what I eat, and if I get on my bicycle 2-3 times a week, it's not a problem at all. I'm not 'sick' or anything. And I've already exceeded my grandparents' life expectancy.

Yes, but...........Type 2 is more of a way of life than hereditary. Everything you'll ever hear about it diet and exercise. More exercise and a well balanced food intake [diet says the wrong thing] and in most cases you can overcome it. At least as for as taking medicine for it.

Not necessarily. You're more likely, but that doesn't mean 'likely'. Lifestyle factors are a large part for type 2 diabetes.

At your yearly checkup ask for a blood test to be done. The doctor can tell from that if you're leaning towards diabetes.

________________dd