Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFriends · 6 months ago

How do I tell my friend I think hes lying about his disability to get on ssi?

He had a pretty bad stroke about 2 years ago. Hes been working part time since than becuase he said he has memory loss, and if he works too long of hours he could have a seizure and die. First of all, hes worked several full days, and he did just fine. Just said he was sore. Also, he says he forgets things sometimes, and thinks he will qualify for ssi because of it. He said he writes notes of stuff so that he wont forget them. He says that will be proof that he has memory lose. I think hes just forgetful like everyone is at times. Also, he said himself that as along as he takes his medication, he wont have a seizure. So why not just work full time, and take your meds? I just think hes using the fact that he had a stroke to years ago as a reason not to work. I hate to feel this way, but he has a hearing in october that will determine whether or not they eccept or denied his claim. I hope he gets denied so that he can see how silly he is.

I know what a stroke can do to a person, even though they may look perfectly normal. He can only get the SSI if his doctor declares him disabled. It's not just his desire that helps him get it.

• Alan H

With friends like you he needs no enemies

• Jahal

Are you perhaps jealous because you're lazy and don't want to work?

It's no picnic being disabled, even temporarily.

I was put on disability by doctor's orders, and was frustrated because it's no fun to be sick and unproductive. When you're disabled, your energy is sapped, you may appear to be healthy because you look good, but people don't understand how draining it is to battle illness.

He had a ************* stroke. And it’s not really any of your business either.

There's no need for you to tell him because it's likely the Social Security Administration will tell him for you.

How about you don't tell your friend and stay the **** out of his business? You're not a doctor nor a social security worker AND you have no medical expertise. You literally have no say in this because you're not qualified in any way. That's one of the most harmful things you can do to a disabled person and I hope that you don't do that to your friend here.

• Tj

You are not his friend. He has problems, maybe not a constant thing, but who would hire him? I would not.

As soon as you said STROKE...DUH...you are a F#CKING IDIOT.

• Nancy

Why don't you leave that up to Social Security to decide? I mean, you do know they don't just take his word for it, don't you? So if he's lying like you say, his medical records won't bear out proof that he's disabled presently. You see, the thing is, the definition of disability to Social Security is the inability to work substantially and gainfully due to a medical condition, and "substantially and gainfully" isn't merely being able to work several full days and do just fine.

Are you serious? If he had a stoke and you know of that how is he lying? Medication for seizure is not 100% you can still have one while taking the drug.

You are a worthless friend.

• Voelven

Have you been around your friend 24/7 for say 1-2 weeks? Otherwise how can you tell? I'm disabled with invisible symptoms, and none of my employers, plus a few friends don't even know I'm sick, because they only see me during my good hours/days.

That your friend is an ingrate is another matter.