Details below: I've heard Wal-Mart is stopping the sales of violent video games....?

This is in order to stop mass shootings as these games are being blamed for it. Almost all Wal-Marts are still carrying weapons though. Have I gotten this confused and what are people's thoughts on this?

Favorite Answer

Shows how quickly these rumors spread.

The only thing I've heard is that SIGNAGE has been removed. Not that I'm saying it isn't stupid

Like groovy man myyyeeh

So far, corporate policy has required all stores (regardless of store management & staff opinions) to remove any advertisement of violent video games & required the console manufacturers to update their demo displays to remove all game demos that are above ESRB E (they're pulling even CARTOON VIOLENCE, which typically hits ESRB E10+... so the demos are mostly sports titles).

The sales of mature (ESRB M) games & movies (MPAA R) still occur under normal corporate policies (associates still card customers who look like they're under 17 for games & 18 for movies when selling such titles). It's unlikely to change because it's a significant chunk of sales within the electronics / entertainment department & corporate doesn't want those sales going elsewhere (that's just poor business practice).

They're not stopping the sales of violent video games. They're changing the advertisement part. Which to be honest, I don't think it changes anything. People are putting the blame on the wrong thing.

Movies have violent advertisement. Even the news media has violent advertisement. So why video games are specifically to blame?

Because people are looking for a scapegoat and video games is the perfect scapegoat.

Sitting there and looking at a rifle is not going to give you crazed fantasies about homicidal narcissism.

Wrong. They’re removing violent video game signs and displays. They’re not removing violent video games.

• Mike L

Thanks, I wanted to know if the news was true. Are they also removing ads for weapons?

Your statement is false.

Their inventory is not changing. They are selling exactly what they've always sold.

The change is that they are not going to have large advertisements to "violent" games.

Of course, since this is just a band-aid (and irrelevant) solution to the problem that no one wants to fix, it will be undone before November when the next set of annualized games are released.

Knee-jerk reaction to the spate of mass killings. Some say that the M rated violent vid games numb the players to violence. So they are more prone to committing actual violence. So Wal-Mart is still selling them, but they are no longer displaying them on the floor shelves.

But to my knowledge, that correlation assumption has never been proved. To the contrary, those studies I have read a few years ago concluded there is no statistical correlation between playing M rated games and the predilection to actual violence.

(NOTE: I've not been following this theme for several years now. If there have been newer studies with different results anyone please comment.)

As to the guns, nothing has changed for Wal-Mart. Never bought a gun from them, but I can imagine they comply with all the gun laws when they do sell them. And yes I do own a gun...my second one currently.

• Mike L

I agree with the lack of correlation.

Yes that should be a good thing. Because really when you think about it this world is filled with it. The bible tells us where violence comes from. Job 1:1-10

• Mike L

Yeah, but the Bible is a work of fiction and religion has been responsible for more deaths than anything else.

I think it's just people trying to put blame where it doesn't belong. The reason video games, and movies, are violent, is because people, and society in general, is to blame.