Do you have to declare souvenirs?

At customs, do you have to declare souvenirs purchased while in say Italy? Even if its a couple small things? Thanks.

Favorite Answer

On the back of the form you fill out, you just put "souvenir items" and the total value. Estimate it if you don't know. You only have to itemize expensive things.

You get the customs form on the plane and you just put "souvenirs" and a total price. Its very simple and then you turn it in when at customs check out. But yes, you list everything. no big deal.

Not unless it has some excessive value over $800........then no.

Yes, you do. You need to declare everything.

You have to declare everything you acquired while abroad. You may have to pay duty (import taxes) if the total value exceeds $800.

https://www.immihelp.com/sample-us-customs-declara...

• Rick B

The declaration form and the signage in the area should make it abundantly clear what you do and do not claim. Are you unable to read?

No. I was recently in Paris, was worried I couldn’t take my Eiffel towers home for the family. They didn’t bat so much of an eye they only ask you to declare electronics, gels, liquids and aerosols. And foods I think but I never bring food so I have no clue. But souvenirs are safe.

• Diane A

not safety, customs!