Which is generally more reliable from having my precious music recordings get damaged,digital flash chip or cassette tapes? (Tapes chewd up)?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • 5 months ago

Anyone serious about recording their original music isn't going to use cassette tapes. Yes, I know, they are the latest cool, retro thing but they just don't have very good quality. I have literally, a room full of reel to reel tapes - 1/4" and 1/2". Reel to reel is much better quality then cassette. On these are recorded thousands of hours of music, some of it by famous artists. Much of it is one-of-a-kind. It's gradually being transferred to digital. It is being sent to "the cloud" and is being stored here on hard drives - HDD not SSD. A HDD will last virtually forever as long as it's not being used - archival. Solid state will not and this includes all forms of flash drives.

If you are serious, upload your music to a computer, the cloud, and AND an external HDD. When you want to listen to it or edit, use the internal drive. After editing, back it up on the external / cloud.

• 5 months ago

Solid state memory.

Tapes can literally fall apart over time.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.