Do music recordings on CD and flash chip memory last longer than music recorded on cassette tapes? Can they get damaged as easy?

My cassette tapes, some over 50 years old, still play. The sound is a little muffled now due to oxide loss. But they still play. I have CDs over thirty years old and one or two won't play anymore, plus I have some burned CDs made 22 years ago and they are completely unplayable due to 'disc rot'. I also have some music on an old MMS card which won't play. Analogue wins the time war.

You have asked essentially the same question too many times.

Get busy recording on SDHCs --- or USB drives --- and get on with life!

• David

Tapes wear every time you play them, they shed oxide, their lubricants evaporate. The tape itself gets brittle. Sooner or later a tape will be unplayable. A properly cared for CD will last much longer than any tape. Flash memory should last even longer but if you take it in and out a lot the connector may get damaged.

Yes. And no depends on many things.

A CD is made of plastic and it can get scratched and you won't be able to play it. A USB or flash card is pretty reliable but they can burn out. An MP3 player is also an electronic device that incorporates flash memory and it too is relatively safe unless you get it wet or unless it burnt out. Anyting beats plastic tape.

• Philip5 months agoReport

My appreciations, thank you

• ?

All of that information can be easily Googled.

• ?

Weird. Even if you type it in other languages, you get results. "How long do CDs keep data." "How long does flash memory store data." "How long do cassette tapes store data." I found all of that in like 20 seconds, which is why I didn't answer

CDs last 'forever' if properly handled (i.e. not scratched, not left in the sun, etc.) They're read by a beam of light, so there's nothing in them that will wear out.

Cassette tapes last a long time but they do wear out.

Flash memory, I don't know. I've had a lot of trouble with flash zip drives and SD cards. OTOH I have a flash drive I keep in my pocket for work, and I've used it several times a week for two years and it's still fine. Most flash drives, after a few months you get a message that the drive must be re-formatted. If you ignore that, the drive still works great. But it kind of gives me a bad feeling, if you know what I mean.

• Philip5 months agoReport

But then the whole current problem is, I CAN NOT FIND THOSE KIND OF TAPE DECKS AND RECORDERS ANYMORE, THEY DONT FREAKEN MAKE THEM! With the revived demand for cassettes, I am amazed not to find a hell of a lot more than I do! Good day.