Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesLas Vegas · 6 months ago

Can someone who is 20 yrs old go into with a casino with someone who is 21?

Its going to be my birthday soon and me and my girlfriend are going to go to vegas. I wanna go into the casinos ill be 21 by then but she wont until one month after. Would that be a big deal? Can she just stand around me while i play?

I saw a huge argument once between an over 21 guy and his under 21 girlfriend. The girlfriend had apparently been told a few too many times to move on and she was not happy. "Why the (bleep) did you make me come to Vegas? This place sucks! I can't do (bleep) without getting ID'd. I wanna leave right now!!!

Minors may walk through a casino but they may not loiter in ANY playing area. This means that minors cannot stand near a machine. However, minors can be in areas not designated for gaming such as restaurants (except for sitting at bars with bartop machines), stores and other areas considered public areas. Casino employees will be very quick to ask for ID if they suspect a minor.

Most casinos, not just in LV, are forced to allow minors to walk through the casino due to the design of the facility. Want to go to the bathroom, the only way to get there is by walking through the casino floor, the hope being you will drop a few $ in a slot machine on the way through. There are designated walkways (different color carpet) that she must stay on. She will not be allowed to stop, must keep moving. They will be watching closely if they discover she is underage. If they discover she is underage I'd suggest leaving that particular casino immediately, you might be able to get away with her watching at a different one.

Source(s): Experienced this with my obviously underage children in a casino.

If the age requirement for entry is 21, then she won't be able to enter (whether or not she gambles)

im from uk ..been to vegas a few times ..but not to gamble ..took mother in law ..and my daughter ..who was 17 at time ..but looked 14 ...no one ever stopped us or ask her age ..she used a few slot machines

She may eventually be asked for ID, but the only thing they will do is ask her to leave. If she's not gambling it is not that big of an issue to the casinos.

• MS

In Vegas, you have to be 21 to be on the casino floor. She will be able to walk through the casino to get to other parts of the resort (and is supposed to stay on the marked walkways), but cannot stop and watch you play or hang out with you. She may get by with it before someone comes around and asks for ID, but they are pretty vigilant about this in Vegas.

On a side note, she also will not be able to enter any of the nightclubs with you.

Most places in the world, you can't even be in a casino if you're under 21. But Las Vegas and Reno are a little different. The casinos are designed deliberately so that you can't get to the restaurants or gift shops or whatever without walking through the casino, so they allow minors to walk through them.

Whether you could stand around and watch someone gamble, I'm not sure about that, but I'm guessing it would be frowned upon. Then again, if you're 20, and weren't gambling, it might not be a problem.

I was surprised to find that the basement of the Silver Legacy in Reno has carnival games in the basement that kids can play while their parents gamble! And you have to walk through the casino to get to the elevators!

• DCM5150

It is actually not the basement of Silver Legacy, you crossed into Circus Circus. Those 2 plus the El Dorado are all owned by the same company and they connected all of them so you really don't know what casino you are in

• It depends on the policy of the casino. They may or may not permit her in to any area with gambling. But there's more than gambling in a casino. There are hotels, restaurants, stores, some even have rides, etc... As long as she never gambles (and doesn't do anything that is seen as her trying to circumvent the law, like handing you money in order to allow you to gamble or other such nonsense), then you'll probably be fine.