Can you get pregnant on birth control ?

My sister has an IUD in she has the 5 year one she always heard you can't get pregnant on birth control. She was watching the show called I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant she said you can get pregnant no matter what. There was a girl on there who also has an IUD she watched the show the week before she was on there thinking it couldn't happen to her but it did. She said she and her boyfriend have been having sex shes really worried because now she's always hungry but that's normal for her. Is it possible for her to get pregnant ?

• Jake
    Favorite Answer

The only way to avoid pregnancy completely is abstinence. Contraceptives lower the risk and are more effective than raw dog but not guaranteed to protect 100% of the time.

• David

No, you need to have sex to get pregnant.

• Edna

Well, I used the birth control pill as my ONLY means of contraception for almost 30 years, from the time I was in my early 20's. . In all those years, I never got pregnant and I never had an occasion to even suspect that I might be pregnant. Of course, I never "forgot" to take a pill either.

When you're on the birth control pill and you take it as you're supposed to, it's practically impossible to get pregnant. The pill prevents ovulation from ever happening. Because you never ovulate, you can't get pregnant. The pill is 99.9% effective, and that's about as close to perfect as you're going to get..

• Pippin

No method is 100% effective. (And I'm sure her doctor did NOT claim that they were.) But the Mirena IUD has a failure rate of far below 1% per year.

Of course you can as no birth control claims to be 100% effective. 99% is high but it's not 100%.

• Edna

A woman who is using one of the proven effective methods of birth control (the pill, an implant, an IUD) has a higher chance of winning a million-dollar lottery than she does of getting pregnant.

Yes I have cousin who is currently pregnant and was using depo. They even gave her the shot while she was pregnant also.

The chances are very small, but small isn't the same as zero. We were using both the pill and condoms when our daughter was conceived. It was rough for a few years there, in terms of time and money, which is why we were so serious about birth control. As a long married couple, abstinence wasn't on the table.

Anti-pregnancy devices are always less than 100% effective.

So, to be absolutely sure, it takes either total abstinence or removal of the reproductive processes (hysterectomy or vasectomy)

It is possible but very unlikely with an IUD unless it came out or is expired. The chances are very slim.