Should I tell my fiance the price of her engagement ring?

Can I tell her? Am I allowed to tell her?

Should I tell her?

What if she asks? .. I don't really want to tell her how much I forked out on her ring.

Favorite Answer

No. She shouldn't ask. It's rude. And if she ever asks tell her that that's for you to know and her to guess.

If these are the main concerns, maybe you shouldn't be so quick to put a ring on that finger.

Tell her after you’re married. You join your finances at that point anyway.

Whenever I receive a gift of any kind, I NEVER ask how much it cost. That is just tacky.

I have a family member who always asks how much I paid for this and how much I paid for that and what did this other thing cost and where did I buy it. I got so fed up with the questions, that I came up with the same answer every single time: "It cost more than $25.00 and less than $5,000.00". LOL

Because you do not want to tell her, then don't. If she should ask, then let her know that it is none of her concern because no matter how much it cost, you are happy to be spending your life with her.

why would you not want to tell her is the real question?

Yes you can if you want or she asks

• drip

You are getting married. You should be sharing the cost of anything you buy with her. You should have the ring appraised and keep the appraisal someone safe.

Why the secret? Not a good way to go into marriage

Really, it s up to you. However, I have to wonder why you would be marrying a woman that you can t be open and honest with.

My wedding ring is a family heirloom. My husband had it appraised before the wedding. I never asked what the appraisal was and he never said. So, the not-telling-not-asking part of your question isn t the problem. The what-do-I-say-if-she-asks part is troubling.

• Kelly

If you get the ring insured you need to know the price of it or it's value. If it's insured within x amount of days the company will accept a bill of sale/receipt for it.. otherwise you have to get it appraised.

When I got my ring insured, my husband gave me a copy of the receipt for it so i didn't have to pay to get it appraised for no reason. Other than that I hadn't thought of asking him.

Can you tell her? Yes.

Are you allowed to tell her? Yes.

What if she asks? That's up to you.

I find it odd that two people who have agreed to marry haven't discussed and agreed on financial priorities. These days most couples have already discussed finances in great detail including a budget for getting married (including jewelry).