How to tell if a bone is broken? And what is the initial treatment?

I work as a nurse in a rural area without a doctor. Since we're about 15 mountain km away from the hospital, I need to evaluate if I it's a sprain or a fracture, because a hospital trip is quite expensive. Should I wait and see? Plus, what should I give them? I was thinking Ibuprofen, muscle cold gel, and immobilize with compression bandage?

• Edna

If you are really a nurse, you must already know that your nursing license does not permit you to diagnose a patient's injuries, nor are you allowed to prescribe any kind of medication. Only a Doctor of Medicine can do that. Your job is to get the patient to a doctor ASAP.

You won't have to "evaluate" a patient in order to determine if he has broken a bone. Your patient will KNOW if he's broken a bone. The initial pain of a broken bone will be like nothing he's ever felt before in his life. He won't know whether to pass out or throw up - whichever happens to come first. The pain of a broken bone is NOTHING like the comparatively minor pain of, say, a sprained ankle.

No to advil unless its very painful as that increases bleeding, muscle gel is useless, ice packs through cloth is better, and a splint not a compression bandage unless its a very simple sprain, crutches--all first aid. You probably will not be able to reliably determine a break fro a bad sprain 75 percent of the time.

Your the nurse.................

You're a nurse and you never had a class on trauma? Come on, man.

Crepitous, deformity, pulse, motor skills and sensation. Check and palpate for crepitous and ask if they feel crepitous, compare to the opposite limb for deformity. Check for a distal pulse. Ask the patient if they can move it and check to see if they can feel it.

If there's no crepitous or deformity, loss of sensation, pulses or motor skill then it's probably not broken (but it definitely still might be broken) The only definitive diagnostic is an X-ray.

Transport decision is on you as a healthcare professional. Make a differential diagnosis and a treatment plan.

Source(s): Honestly what healthcare pro hasn't googled someone's illness..? But a simple trauma like this is a very basic fundamental.
  • Tavy

No way are you a Nurse. You would be trained to know what to do.

School holidays again.

What is a nurse doing here?

Shouldn't a nurse consult a doctor.

• Jovana4 months agoReport

I didn't ask for your opinion on administrative issues.

• Bill

You work as a nurse and you have to ask Yahoo Answers a question like this? How much education does it take to be a nurse in your country?