Toni Parr asked in EnvironmentClimate Change · 6 months ago

Do you ever bother to check peer reviewed scientific papers to explain climate change not just what's in the main stream media?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, I do check papers. What annoys me is when mainstream media don't include links on their articles. They usually include quotes from the authors but the problem is that non-scientist journalists can take those quotes out of context to fill the story they wanted to file.

A good example (but unrelated to climate change) here was an article in the Irish Times titled 'Sellafield still main threat to Irish Sea' (Sellafield is a nuclear powerplant and at the time a fuel reprocessing plant). The article quoted the Radiological Protection Institute of Ireland saying radiation levels in the sea had been dropping and posed no health risk.

• sam
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

Yes...................

• oikoσ
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Sometimes. One of the most telling sections of the paper is the acknowledgements. If the "research" was supported by Big Energy, it is likely to be just a wee bit biased toward claiming that there is no AGW.

• ...Show all comments
    • oikoσ
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

What were the criteria for selection? Perhaps having published in peer-reviewed literature, as opposed to youtube? I can live with that.

• 6 months ago

Occasionally but they are not a lot of help!

OK, if you read a few hundred they would be but it is difficult to find one that says "this is global warming and how it works". They are more like: "we spent a couple of summers in Spain and we dredged this pollen out of a river - oh, and we enjoyed it so much that more research is required".

• Zany Dog6 months agoReport

Note that the bot program works in reverse. The paid trolls bot tagged this question to forever stay in Global Warming. So, if the OP (Toni Parr, not a troll) wanted to move her question to another category, she would be unable to do so. Just another way trolls violate Yahoo policy.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 6 months ago

Once in awhile some magazines our local college library has some reprinted scientific papers in them. From what I see in the main stream media, what they report is based on these articles, but dumbed down (by writers who don't really understand what they are reading) for an audience which couldn't understand them in their original form.

• Cowboy
    Lv 6
    6 months ago

We should ALL get science news from the scientific literature - the main stream media is just entertainment.

• ...Show all comments

You can also do my experiment on your own questions. Dig into your profile and find a question that was moved to Abuse & Spam. Repeat the same 5 steps above. Alternatively, just move this question out of Global Warming. It is bot tagged to return to Global Warming no matter where you move it.

• 6 months ago

The mainstream media is the propaganda machine for the global warming crusade. They are the true climate denier crowd and anti-science machine, that is brain washing the public.

• ...Show all comments

You can also do my experiment on your own questions. Dig into your profile and find a question that was moved to Abuse & Spam. Repeat the same 5 steps above. Alternatively, just move this question out of Global Warming. It is bot tagged to return to Global Warming no matter where you move it.

• 6 months ago

I read most everything, but believe little. Even "scientific" opinion is still just opinion, not fact.

• 6 months ago

Nah! Those 'accepted' reviews are biased. Besides, I don't need another scientist to tell me something about what I have already thoroughly researched. Especially those crumby people who call themselves scientists and are paid by Soros.

• ...Show all comments
    • Sagebrush
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

But those scoundrels are really violating US laws. Even Y!A in allowing these type of actions is in violation of Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act. We'll see what happens.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

I learnt long ago to take any headline in mainstream media such as newspapers with a grain of salt. Documentaries such as "An inconvenient Truth" and the "Great Global warming swindle" are riddled with inaccuracies and are basically "Junk Science" yet people take them as gospel.

Pure scientific papers are above my education to fully understand. However publications such as "Science or Nature" journals are a bit easier and take great pride in being accurate.

Note the the bot program works in reverse. The paid trolls bot tagged this question to forever stay in Global Warming. So, if the OP (Toni Parr, not a troll) wanted to move her question to another category, she would be unable to do so. Just another way trolls violate Yahoo policy.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.