Rayna asked in HealthDental · 5 months ago

Dentist wont numb me for cavity?

so this is my first ever cavity and I'm horrified my dentist said that they aren't going to numb it because its just small enough. which i don't mind I'm even more scared of needles, i just need to know how bad its gonna to hurt, i don't want my dentists sugar coated response. so the internet it is.

• audrey

I would either insist on numbing or find another dentist. He sounds like a jerk

If you want him to numb your mouth you have EVERY RIGHT to have it numbed. Your dentist sounds like a realAss. You didn't say whether you do or don't prefer numbing really, but if you prefer it then tell him he is going to numb your mouth... because you said so.

For a small cavity that has not gone far into the tooth it's not even going to be necessary to give you an anesthetic don't touch the point of the little drilbur to the tooth that has the cavity a couple of times you'll feel a little vibration little to no pain at all and then they'll blow it out with air and put a drop of white epoxy in it and shine a blue light on it and it will cause the stuff to get hard in a second and then they'll buff it off with a little buffing wheel totally non painful. I bought the equipment off of eBay for under $100 to fill my own cavities because nowadays filling cavities is expensive as heck. I bought a laser and I can drill out a cavity in a few seconds. Blow it out with air. Put the white compound in the hole smooth it with the tip of my finger and then shine the little blue light on it and the cavity is filled instantaneously no more problems enough to fill a 100 cavities for under $100.

• Rayna5 months agoReport

Thank you for the response, you definitely helped calm my nerves.

if it's just on the surface you won't feel any pain.if you don't want to take the chance then they will freeze it if you tell them you want it frozen.

They’re going to use topical numbing drops instead of needles because your cavity isn’t deep enough. The topical solution should numb it enough that it won’t hurt.

Look, it could be worse. Imagine getting 2 needle injections in your eyes. I get a numbing drop first to numb the area around the eyes. Then I get an injection in the eye to numb the rest. Finally I get the medicine injected into my eye. Imagine doing this procedure once a month for several years.

• Rayna5 months agoReport

Nah they said they aren't numbing it at all, like AT ALL. also yeash

if it's really shallow it won't hurt, but new studies show that it might not even need any drilling- best to just leave it be.

• Rayna5 months agoReport

Yeah i wanted to wait for my college winter break to do it, they said it would get worse as I long kept a good dental regime but mother knows best.

Not everyone gets numbed when having cavities filled. My mother didn't. I think I tried not getting numbed once and didn't like it.

• Alex

If the cavity is small enough (like one caught in the early stages), it hasn't gone to the root structure where the nerves are.

So if they're not going to numb you it's because they don't need to. They're just going to go in, open the hole a little bit to clean it and to make a good adhesion point and either will fill it or cap it.

Either way...he's not going to hit the nerves so there's no need to deaden them.

If you're concerned, ask your doctor for a Xanax to relax you so you're not so freaked.

• Alex

Xanax while having the potential for being addictive, isn't likely to addict anyone with just one pill which is what they typically give out for a dentist visit.

You take it about a half-hour before the visit and it calms you down for it.

Yeah, it's going to hurt. If you're scared of needles, you're gonna hate the pain of not being numbed.