Do you think Jehovah's Witnesses should be banned? What are your thoughts on religious freedom?

Freedom of religion is a basic fundamental human right recognized by Article 18 of the U.N. Declaration of human rights. Outlawing this religion will feed its persecution complex and drive it underground much like outlawing alcohol, marijuana, and prostitution has driven those underground in locations where they... show more Freedom of religion is a basic fundamental human right recognized by Article 18 of the U.N. Declaration of human rights. Outlawing this religion will feed its persecution complex and drive it underground much like outlawing alcohol, marijuana, and prostitution has driven those underground in locations where they are outlawed. While education is usually far more effective at weakening a religion, Jehovah's Witnesses denounce education, but don't explicitly forbid it. Russia has banned this religion by claiming it's "extremist", but they are nonviolent. Russia has also been accused of planting evidence and torturing them, which is rightfully condemned.

On the other hand, Jehovah's Witnesses allow their children to die by denying them lifesaving blood transfusions, effectively making their children martyrs (as they did with the May 22, 1994 Awake! magazine). They have become engulfed in massive child abuse cover-up scandals and accompanying lawsuits worldwide. They shun ex-members (even victims of child abuse who speak out) which leads many to depression and suicide. They strongly discourage education, critical thinking, and looking at any information that might conflict with their beliefs. They fit nearly all the characteristics of a cult.

I want to support freedom of religion, but I don't want to support a religion that causes suffering, death, and family divisions. Does that make me a hypocrite?
Update: By "education" I meant to specify "higher education".
Update 2: Lioness, I am very sorry for your losses. My mother lost a close friend to suicide as a result of the cold judgmental mistreatment by Jehovah's Witnesses back in the mid 1980's. This has been going on for a long time. Awareness needs to be made about this. Thank you for your input. Caribbean Man, you gave... show more Lioness, I am very sorry for your losses. My mother lost a close friend to suicide as a result of the cold judgmental mistreatment by Jehovah's Witnesses back in the mid 1980's. This has been going on for a long time. Awareness needs to be made about this. Thank you for your input.

Caribbean Man, you gave a great answer, but trolls have apparently falsely reported your answer.

Thank you all for responding. I have read everyone's answers, which has giving me a lot to think about.