I need to cover walls of art studio with something smooth that I can push drawing pins into. Would soft plywood be suitable?

7 Answers

  • 1 year ago
    Favourite answer

    Plywood is easy but Too expensive especially so with knotfree. Knots will be impossible to penetrate.

    I would just use the walls, Gypsum Drywall*, Then when done just Spackle and paint.

    Second choice would be two layers of corrugated card board.

    * UNLESS the rental/lease agreement says it is forbidden.

  • Ludwig
    Lv 6
    12 months ago

    Plywood can be very, very, tough. Drywall will fracture and crumble. There are lots of custom made fibre compounds available for exactly this purpose.

  • 12 months ago

    A better option is cellulose fiber board, commonly known by the brand name Homasote or sometimes "sound board". The common version is Homasote 440 SoundBarrier, which comes in 4 x 8 ft, ½-inch sheets, although I have seen it sold in half sheets or quarter sheets as well. When I was in art school the hallways were lined with these boards to attach art work. The common type is not completely smooth, but you can finish it smooth or cover it with fabric. It's $26/sheet at my local store.

    Homasote also has a product called PINnacle, which is marketed specifically for pin boards. I don't know how different it is from SoundBarrier 440; it may be smoother.

  • Darla
    Lv 5
    1 year ago

    Drywall would be better, because you can spackle the holes.

  • What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • LP7
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    Might try cork board

  • Tim D
    Lv 7
    1 year ago

    Paint the walls with magnetic paint, then an overcoat of emulsion.

    Now use magnets instead of pins.

  • 1 year ago

    I use cork for a lot of surfaces.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.