Mike K asked in SportsRunning · 7 months ago

Should even an out of shape person be able to run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes?

• .

Some can, some can't. Some people who are fit, are just slow. Being able to travel 1.5 miles in 15 mins doesn't necessarily indicate a person's level of fitness.

I'm miserably slow right now (every time I build up my time, I end up with an injury or issue that keeps me out of running for a while). My current pace, when I'm fresh, is over 13 min/mile at present. Not at all what I want it to be, but it is what it is. Based on that (13 mins/mile) it would tend to take me 19.5 mins to travel 1.5 miles. I'm not 'in shape' but I'm not a couch potato either (I've been back into running since Jan of this year and am well into a half marathon training program for an Oct HM.

You can Power walk a mile in 10 minutes if in fair shape but if you are referring to an extremely obese out of shape person just even running or walking a 1.5 miles would be a feat in itself without basic weight loss and disipline

Probably not. In general, no. But, I agree with Pearl. Everyone is different.

I was out of shape when I started running. It took several weeks before I could run a mile without slowing to a walk. When I finally did, that mile took 12 minutes. Had I been able to continue at that pace, it would have taken 18 minutes for 1.5 miles.

Three years later, I was able to run a mile in 6:17, in a race.

Now, age is catching up with me. I'm in relatively good shape, but it is hard for me to run a mile in 10 minutes.

If it would be challenging for me to run 1.5 miles in 15 minutes, being in relatively good shape for my age, I would be surprised to meet someone who can do it when out of shape.

• Jogger2425

Observation: How does one measure how far one is "in shape" or "out of shape"? What if the test is how fast one can run 1.5 miles? Then, there could be an answer "by definition."

• Nancy

That's only 6 miles an hour. That doesn't even require running, just speed walking.

Some people are so out of shape, they need assistance to even walking to the bathroom.

depends on the person, everyone is different

No, l don't think so lol. l can't do that, and l'm in-shape with abs.

• Sam

You can almost walk a mile in 15 minutes if you walk as fast as you can.

An extremely out of shape person? I can't see it being possible. Some people cant run 30 feet without giving into the pain.