Are there some cases when a hard disk has an irreparable damage even when it is still recognized by the computer?

So, how can we know when it is not worth it trying to repair it?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Who
    Lv 7
    6 months ago
    Favorite Answer

yes

but depends what that "irreparable damage" is

sectors of a drive can become "irreparable" but may not affect using the drive

In this case all that happens is those sectors are labelled as not to use - and you lose a bit of disc space

(but if this happens a lot it can indicate the drive is starting to fail totally - so you would be advised to get a new drive and clone the old drive to the new one and do it asap)

(Since the OS still recognises the drive - then you COULD run chkdisk to look for bad sectors and repair the drive - It dont actually "repair" it - it labels suspect bad sectors so they aint used any more and copies the data in it to a non-suspect sector)

• 6 months ago

Sure. My 200G laptop hard drive got a bunch of bad sectors from when my knee hit the table while the computer was running.

I lost only the files that occupied the bad sectors, and I am now using an SSD which doesn't head-crash when my knee hits the table.

• k w
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

if it's hardware related, not worth it.......

• keerok
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

All the time! That's actually more popular than breaking outright. You know it's no longer good to keep when you start losing files. Download Crystal Disk. It will help you assess the condition of your hard disk and decide whether to start moving files to a new disk even before an error gets worse.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • David
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Unless the damage is limited to bootsector corruption which can usually be repaired by a reformat most other damage would have to go to a workshop. In most western countries given the high cost of labour it is usually cheaper to replace the drive.

• Fulano
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

It's all repairable, technically, but usually not worth the money to repair because you've got to send the drive away to a place that can take it apart and replace the bad parts in the drive. Even if the drive platters take damage the data can be extracted and put on a new set of drive platters.

The electronics on the drive are what the computer uses to recognize it. If the drive has a mechanical failure, the computer will still recognize it, but the drive won't work, isn't accessible, etc.

• 6 months ago

If the boot sector is damaged. The drive cannot be used. Sometimes it can be used as a Backup drive.

• Adrian
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

In reality, most HDD failures, regardless of what kind, are not repairable. Best to simply replace the drive and restore from your backups...

In extreme cases, and with very high costs (thousands of $$$), you can send a drive into a data recovery firm to recover as much data that is possible (seldom it is 100%). For that price, is is a lot cheaper to do regular backups....

• 6 months ago

take it to a computer shop to find out.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.