Julianna asked in SportsRunning · 7 months ago

Best Running Shoes for Pains I’m Having and Flat Feet?

I just started jogging/running again after a few years. I have flat feet. I’ve been experiencing extreme pain in my calves while running, and today I ended up with shin splints after my run. I also had a good amount of pain in my knees as well.

I’ve been looking for running shoes but they all differ quite a bit depending on which issue I type in. I’m wondering if anyone can help me find a good shoe for all of my problems! I don’t care about price. Just need something to help my flat feet, knees, pain in my calves, and shin splints. Thank you in advance!

• .

Definitely go to a running store and get fitted for shoes. There are various brands and no one here can say which will be more comfortable for you. There are shoes for various running gaits and feet. Lots of people have their preferred brand or brands, but that doesn't mean a shoe that works for one (flat footed) person will be comfortable for you.

• Todd

Saucony. For hiking boots that are nearly as light as running shoes, Vasque.

The New Balance line should be helpful -- https://www.newbalance.com/men/shoes/running/

Go to a store in your area specializing in serving runners. Let me emphasize that -- a store specializing in serving runners. The staff at these stores are trained to discuss runners' issues. Stores that sell shoes for athletes, or have sections with running shoes might or might not have staff that are so well trained.

Bring your current shoes with you. If you have enough miles on them, the wear pattern might give clues to what corrections you should make.

It would be a good idea to have them put you on a treadmill and record your running. Looking at the video at a slower speed can also provide information. Some stores, such as Athlete's Foot, might offer a force plate. They have you run, barefooted, across the force plate, which will make an electronic record of forces on your feet.

In Even with shoes that best match your biomechanics, it's common to hurt or get injuries at some time in the first months of a running program. In "Lore of Running", 3rd ed., Tim Noakes, M.D., DSc., offers a training program that reduces the risk of injury. This program begins with walking 20 minutes every other day for two weeks. The third week also consists of only walking, but some walks are on consecutive days. The program makes a transition from walking to running. There is a 25 week to 10K version of this program near the bottom of http://www.runner.co.za/2003/01/05/training-for-be...