KH asked in TravelAir Travel · 1 year ago

How bad is flying basic economy on American Airlines?

How bad is flying basic economy on American Airlines?This is my first time flying and I just want to know the experience of flying basic economy vs main cabin. Really the only thing I see that’s different is that you get to choose your seat with the main cabin.

• RICK
    1 year ago

Basic economy is main cabin unless you are referring to the few seats they call "main cabin extra" on their larger airliners. And it depends on which plane is flying that route

Some domestic flights are on small cramped commuter jets

1 year ago

You can't choose your seat but I think they will still let you pay a fee if you want. but if you don't pay the fee, your seat is preassigned and changing the seat at the gate probably won't net you a better seat unless you pay.

Also, you're in the last group to board which can be a pain if you're bringing a carry on for the overhead. Most times I've flown (not basic), the gate people pretty much tell any basic economy to check the bag for free as there won't be any room. Other than that, for the average traveler, it's not a big issue.

• 1 year ago

Very little difference. AA's lowest fair doesn't allow you to pick your seat until it's been assigned 24 hours before flight time, but all the services on the flight are the same. There are 10+ rows with a little more legroom, but even if you're picking your own seat you still have to pay extra. If you aren't real tall, the extra legroom won't matter to you as it does for me. If you're near the back, the snacks you may want to purchase often run out and you get your drinks last. Really no difference otherwise.

• 1 year ago

Not much difference. On most domestic flights there is only one cabin and with the exception of a few rows towards the front of the cabin all the seats are the same. The first few rows have more legroom, for those you have to pay extra.