Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingAdolescent · 10 months ago

Why are drill instructors so mean?

Why are drill instructors so mean and yell at people? Isn't it unprofessional?

Some drill instructors are only "mean" and loud around their peers, the other privates, and their bosses but are much cooler off-base or when it's just you and him/her; others are nasty pretty much all the time lol. When I joined the Army two years ago and headed off to BCT with 300 other guys and girls, our drill sergeants were really hard on us during red phase, but lightened up during white phase and blue phase. Military life can suck and be fun at the same time.   

Because they have to be. They are preparing you to go into combat, not for a picnic in the park or a chat with your buddies on Facebook. If you think your DI is bad now, just wait until you actually get into a combat situation. Military life requires DISCIPLINE, pal. If you weren't prepared to deal with being called names and treated badly, then you shouldn't have signed up. PERIOD.

• GB

If they fail the 'meaness' test, they don't get the job.

definately not politically correct

• edward

My friend’s dad was a drill sargent for 30 years but he’s not mean at all, he’s like the nicest person i know

• dmjonesy8210 months agoReport

He was not a drill sergeant for 30 years, it is a temporary assignment generally lasting 3 years. he may have been in the army for 30 years and a drill sergeant but not a drill sergeant for 30 years.

• John

It looks like the one on the left just pooped his pants.

I think he needs a shower and clean clothes.

That's one thing is you work whatever your physical condition so you get dysintary your kinda in bad straights!

They are not as "mean" as they once were.

During WW2 the commander (not anyone famous) of a recruit training center was presiding over a graduation ceremony when he was asked by one of the parents why the training was so difficult and why the drill instructors were so mean. He said it was his duty to prepare the recruits for service in combat and the best way for him to improve their chances of being able to return home to their families was to turn the recruits into "stone cold killers".

Note that no basic training center commander today would dare say anything like that.

They are all sweeties !!!

Source(s): Retired ARMY SFC.
    • Vincent G10 months agoReport

LOL anonymous sounds like private pyle.

• Ann

I guess their trying to treat the recruits the way they might be treated if captured? I would never be able to succeed being yelled at so much. I thrive on encouragement and trying to show the person who believes in me that I worthy of that belief. Yelling at me just makes me make mistakes.

• y

They are ******* now compared to what they used to be. Anyone who they get to at this point is simply weak minded and unfit for service.