Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureHolidaysOther - Holidays · 7 months ago

Why do parents lie to their kids about santa claus?

You only going to tell them the truth when they are older or they will find out on their own santa claus is not real. So why lie to them in the first place? I don't get the point.

I once tried explaining the American easter bunny, to my 80 year old Italian Mother in law.

She looked at me like I had lobsters crawling out of my ears.

She asked me.------why do you teach your kids all this NONSENSE instead of just explaining what the day is actually about?

Then we got into Santa Claus, with the Flying reindeer, and the North Pole, and Elves and all that-------

and I thought she was gonna have me committed.

It’s the joy off Christmas for children and one thing they enjoy is Xmas eve and going sleep waking up with presents.

• Cogito

Because it adds a little bit of 'magic' to Xmas. It's fun. It makes it really special and wonderful and exciting.

They figure it out for themselves eventually.

It's harmless and a lovely part of childhood and of being a parent.

Santa Claus was real centuries ago and was saint Nicolas who gave presents to children in his country but he died so parents continued his legacy.

Because it is a nice comforting myth that all children enjoy. They get presents too.

I don't get it either. Why lie to kids, especially when they trust you for information?

Maybe it's society's way of preparing children for the stream of lies to come. Religion. Politics. Advertising. It's not a very honest society we live in. Sad, really.