Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceCareers & EmploymentTechnology · 6 months ago

Will anything happen if I close my bank account before it goes into the negatives?

I know it’ll go into the negatives soon, if I closed it before it hits the negatives, will I still be mailed a bill or something?

And what will you do for a bank account? You'll still owe the money whatever happens.

Yes asshole and the bank will not close it immediately to allow any outstanding activities to process.

• Lv 7

if there are pending transactions, they won't let you close without paying up.

if it is just a monthly payment, the payment will fail, and your problem will be with whoever you were supposed to pay...

• Judy

If it would be going in the negativ because of outstanding checks, the check would just be bounced.

• Judith

Not with your bank but you can be sure that the people you stiffed with bogus checks will do something about it. Plus those creditors will show up on your credit report.

You will still owe the bank whatever you have overspent. They will request payment and will take you to court if you don't repay it. Your credit rating will take a hit and you will find it harder to open a bank account, get a loan or get a credit card in future and, if you do, the cost to you will be higher.

Not only will the bank file charges for fraud, the people who present your payment authorizations will also sue you and /or charge you with fraud.

• Katie

Nothing will happen, they will print off a statement and hand it to you when you close the account.

All the people who have given me a thumbs down have NOT read the question - it's about closing an account BEFORE it goes into minus figures.

Source(s): Personal knowledge - closed an account in early December 2018.

Before I answer that, banks are in the business of MAKING money, not letting people get away with owing them it.

From what it sounds like, you are trying to defraud the bank, and that is likely to have dire consequences. If you give them no way to collect their money, my guess is you'll face court proceedings added with a hefty clump of charges for them having to instruct lawyers etc.

Failure to then pay that, could land you in prison!

No benefit if that's what you mean. You need to make the bank whole ASAP or else you wont be able to open another bank account for 7 years.

The idiot above is totally wrong about prison.