Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureCultures & GroupsSenior Citizens · 4 months ago

Why do old people not get technology - even simple things you explain step by step?

29 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 months ago
    Best answer

they are aware that 9/11 was an inside job

• Heike
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Depends on how you define 'old'. Really old people grew up without technology and got along just fine. They just don't see the need for it at their time of life so are resistant to it. Others don't want it because it's expensive and can't afford it.

Anyway, how much 'technology' do people really need ?

• donnie
    Lv 4
    4 months ago

Because their brains are older and not young. It can take extra time to learn things. Things also have changed so fast in their life times that some fall behind. You have to be patient and they will get it.

• 4 months ago

It hard to find proper guidance for the people who doesn't know the new stuff they bought. Make since?

For example. I bought Radio Shake's computer and a tutorial book. I nearly master BASIC language.

• In
      Lv 7
      4 months agoReport

...but apparently not the English language.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • 4 months ago

When I don't 'get' something, it's because the person explaining it to me is going too fast and openly shows impatience when I ask them to explain a particular step a bit more.

Sometimes I like to ask a question as we go along. If the tutor or whoever says 'You don't need to know that yet' and keeps on pressing keys (usually without telling me in advance WHY they're pressing them), my brain switches off.

Despite all this, the last five years of my full-time working life were spent using computers every day with perfect confidence and competence.

• drip
    Lv 7
    4 months ago

They didn’t grow up with technology. My mother didn’t have a tv remote until she was into her 40’s.

Many didn’t have a job that used much technology.

So now they are learning from scratch , some things are hard to wrap your head around, I remember going to the science and industry museum in Chicago and they had a interactive display of video phone calling. Wow. No one thought it would be an everyday technology like it is now.

Concepts and reasoning skills diminish. Also many don’t want to learn. Some don’t see why they need it in their life, why start now.

I am 60 and taking computer classes at our library. I talk to my kids. I try to keep up and keep using technology. I want to learn.

My mom still can’t use a tv remote. About once a month she tells me the tv is broke.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

It really depends on how a young person, or person explains it. Some people do it way too quick to show off & they're not good teachers. I do OK, I usually learn something new by watching something on youtube about it. Some people are really nice about explaining something & don't show off or put someone down. I'm not impressed with someone showing off, they've done it a million times, and the person learning has never done it.

• 4 months ago

As the body and mind slow down, it's harder to 'grasp' things literally and figuratively and using some of this new tech is frustrating. I bought a wi-fi expander for my home and folks 20 years younger than I am can't hook it up. In the 1970s I could service any car made. Now it's all dealership work. Aaarrgghh!

• P.L.
    Lv 6
    4 months ago

Because we cannot concentrate of directions in the same way could when younger. You'll be the same when you are one of those 'old people'. That's a certainty.

• Anonymous
    4 months ago

Because some grew up without technology and don't understand it. Some folks have knowledge of technoldoy as some have works in that field, and some are just literate when it comes to it.

I've been in the computer fiield since 1973 and know enough.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.