How hard is it switching careers from astronomy (preferably astrobiology) to an astronaut? Is it even possible?

I haven't been to university yet and was wondering if getting into astronomy and working in that field until I'm 27 and then trying to get into astronaut training. Would it be better to go for a career as a pilot? I am a British citizen.

• 1 year ago

Investigate careers at European Space Agency or NASA for the British citizen programs.

While flying is now a space pilot or mission commander requirement, other fields are considered for the science programs done in space.

Astronomy has evolved into ground observatories and space probes, satellite telescopes. Not enough hardware can be carried on manned missions to compete effectively with the other ones. Maybe on the backside of the moon someday, or in a larger space station, more astronomy could be done well by humans. But you will be too old to go into space by the time that happens. Maybe a child of yours might go.

Source(s): Studying astronomy for 64 years, working in major planetariums where I got to meet a few astronauts from pre-Shuttle programs.
  • 1 year ago

Not Hard at all

The most stunning discovery on the Apollo Missions was made

That The Moon was made from Earth Material, proving the Theia Hypothesis

• Joe
    1 year ago

Spacecraft pilots tend to have engineering educations, with background as military pilots, engaged in flight test. (That was the Project Mercury criteria, but is still common, today.)

Mission Specialists, who conduct experiments on the ISS, can come from a much broader range of experience and education.