If my employer taxes me how do I file a tax return?

If they are already taxing me and national insurance etc as I'm self employed what do I need to include in the tax return? since the tax would already be deducted I'm confused.

If you are registered for Self Assesment then you put those details on the "employment" page.

• 1 year ago

If you have an employer you're not self employed. If someone is already taxing you and doing your national insurance you're not self employed.

This sounds like someone is avoiding paying you things like holiday pay and sick pay.

Your "employer" should be reported to HMRC. What he's doing is illegal.

• Tavy
    1 year ago

If they are taking out tax and NI then you are NOT self employed. Have you registered with HMRC and been given a UTR number? We need to know that before we can comment further.

UK

1 year ago

In America... You would file your taxes and possibly receive a refund if you overpaid depending on your actual deductions. If you were a contractor or consultant (self employed) they would report the total you were paid to the IRS, and you would need to pay any taxes that were owed. (It might be different in the UK)

1 year ago

You can't be self employed if PAYE income tax and NI are being taken from your wages.

Ask your boss why there are deductions from your wages if you are self employed. Maybe it's some kind of ruse not to give you your 4 weeks holiday a year?