Why were the thunderstorms that battered the Northeast US Monday and left something like a quarter million people without power so powerful?

Ok, before anyone raises a fuss. I have had to ask this a second time because I couldn't get a decent answer - please don't describe what a thunderstorm is, I know what a thunderstorm is. Please don't fight with each other either. I think that's why the first question was deleted.

Well here's my answer. I hope it doesn't make anyone want to fight me LOL. That was probably a derecho. It's a Spanish word that means "straight" as opposed to cyclonic storms such as a tornado or hurricane - but, tornadoes can form in some types of derechos. They are very intense and fast moving. You can get winds in excess of 100mph. They hit very suddenly. You could be sitting in your backyard sipping a margarita and suddenly you are running for the house getting pelted with rain and hail and your lawn chair is in the next county.

• poldi2

A combination of a lot of warm moist air from the Gulf plus a cold front from the north - the boundary between them would cause storms.

And when the temperatures are as high as they have been this month, the amount of energy in the atmosphere these storms release is very high.

We will see more of these severe storms each year.

• TQ

^^^ about as clueless as it gets

I believe that the intense heat? Made those thunderstorms that intense. All the weather men on tv say it was exceptionally hot.

Idk ask God, ask Mother Nature.

• TQ

not on the day in question