Anonymous

Why do white people think dating people from other races changes theirs?

I've always been told I am mixed. my mum never had the belief she had changed her race because of who she married. and neither had my dad. I met a white woman who had the nerve to tell me she was Polynesian on the count of she's just married to one and has a child with one. she got offended buy someone calling her white. and her child mixed. I'm sorry u can't be offended buy something thats a fact. race is not something that is chosen. it doesn't change because you signed a piece of paper. or popped out a child who is technically MIXED and should identify so. Im mixed white and polyneasian and so when I heard this I tried to not get triggered because her child was there. a race is part of your dna its your cultural Identity its a part of who you are. I can't believe this is a belief like I honestly did not know people thought this. if thats the case it made interracial couples look bad. like as if to say people only marry into other races they want to be so they feel they are. not only that I just felt bad for her daughter she will grow up with poor conception of race. I know it says when you marry someone you become one. but that meant you become one as a family. u do not become one as a race. why on earth would a white person think thats how you change your race? i just don't understand. my family has always told me whats what since I was young maybe because we have so many cultures in my family but I never thought there was a mentality like this. just no logic required.

• abdul

Silly, our ethnicity doesn't change with insemination.

• Zirp

Stupid people believe stupid things: humans come in races, having sex with someone black will change the colour of the child you have with a white person, trickle-down works...

Unfortunately, they didn't pass their A-level biology

She's only Polynesian by injection.

• A.J.

Don't assign a characteristic of some people to all in a group. It's a logical fallacy and divisive. Also, ethnicity and race are not the same. Race is physical, and obsolete according to geneticists. You may refer to ethnicity, which is cultural, and can change as a social identification. The paragraph definitely confuses race and ethnicity. You should learn the difference.

• jojo5 months agoReport

I know your white. your comment is irrelevant if were talking race she's white. if your talking ethnicity, she's a white English speaking Australian which means she has no culture. which is why there are so many things wrong with her identifying Polynesian on the count of a piece of paper.

• Jen

She can be offended by it. Thats her given right. That doesnt make her a smart or valid woman however. This is a rare case and not the normal. I would unintentionally show my "youre crazy" face and walk on.

• Cogito

White people don't believe that at all.

ONE person said that.

You can't leap to conclusions and think that we're all idiots!

What I find really weird is that anyone actually cares about being one race or the other or mixed, etc. We're just people. Arguing about being half this or a quarter that - what does it matter?

• jojo5 months agoReport

not saying all I was just being vague. there where people who agreed with her who all happened to be white and its not the first time I heard a white woman say something stupid like that. people like keeping track of heritage and continuing traditions and cultures because it reminds them of home.