Would you listen to your single friends if they say it’s too soon for you to get married to your fiancé?

I like advice but I wanna do what I feel would make my current situation better & they keep telling me that it’s too soon to be getting married. At the end of the day, I’m gonna do what I want to do. I just want y’all opinions.

1 year ago

I'd be more inclined to listen to the statistics that prove marriage 1) prior to 25 years of age, 2) prior to at least two years of dating, 3) prior to completion of education and the securing of better than minimum wage jobs, 4) without the ability to provide private domicile have a nearly zero success rate. Unless your "single friends" are sociologists there's no need to listen to them. Good thing for you actual professionals have studied this stuff.

• 1 year ago

No I wouldn't listen to them. Nobody knows you better than you do. If it doesn't work out, then oh well. Like you said at the end of the day you're going to do what you want to do.

• 1 year ago

You didn't say what "too soon" even means in your question

However, why are your friends sticking their nose into your personal business? Did you ask them for advice? If so, you got your answers. If you didn't ask, they are intruding.

• 1 year ago

Since you failed to tell us how soon, we have no way of knowing if it's too soon.

• 1 year ago

Depends on your history, I suppose. Do you have a history of rushing in to relationships with your heart on your sleeve only to find yourself in a bad position or wanting out? Or maybe of making a relationship so much more than it actually is? If so maybe they want you to take time to get this one right ,

Are you more in love with the idea of being engaged and preparing for a wedding than you are in love with him? Do you complain a lot to them about him, criticizing him all the time, yet declare "the love"?

Could be, as single people, they just don't see why you'd feel the need to the rush to be married.

Maybe they don't like him and want you to take the time to find out what it is about him for or yourself.

Do they know you better than you know yourself? If so, take some of it to heart.

1 year ago

Would I listen? Of course. Why wouldn't I consider the advice of people who care about me?

Listening to someone doesn't mean you will agree with them or obey them.

Marrying someone to "better your situation" sounds sketchy.

• Sandy
    1 year ago

if it's a group of people you've known for a long time and you trust, you should listen to them. see if your fiancé would be willing to go to 2-3 couples counseling sessions. even people who know each other a lot longer than you guys, go. it's nothing to be ashamed of and it could prevent a lot of heartache. what's your hurry anyway?!