Are the astronauts trained to dispatch (kill) aliens or try and communicate at first contact?

I only see the astronauts running on treadmills and doing summersaults. I think they should be sitting in a turret ready to hit the first ship of space chimps that get near earth with a nuclear particle accelerator. Yeah, so there is a very small chance of long distance space travel. Well it could happen. Instead... show more I only see the astronauts running on treadmills and doing summersaults. I think they should be sitting in a turret ready to hit the first ship of space chimps that get near earth with a nuclear particle accelerator.

Yeah, so there is a very small chance of long distance space travel. Well it could happen. Instead of growing space carrots they should be on full alert ready to exterminate the alien bastards. If not they will take our water and women.

So are the astronauts trained to fight or just float around?