Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 6 months ago

do you go straight from court to jail?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 6 months ago

ONLY if you are poor and cannot afford to pay a high dollar lawyer...

• 6 months ago

Usually, yes. I was taken from the police station straight to court, in serious cases you could be taken straight from court to jail.

Sometimes the defendant could be granted bail where they arrive to court by themselves.

• 6 months ago

Usually, yes, with two guards on both sides of you.

Source(s): Certified Paralegal, with 25+ years' experience.
  • 6 months ago

If convicted, usually.

• What do you think of the answers? You can sign in to give your opinion on the answer.
  • Clive
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

In what country or state? They aren't all the same on this.

I know that in the USA, sometimes this doesn't happen and you get a date to report to jail. But here in the UK, you always do. If sentenced to prison (we don't have jails), you get taken to the court cells until the court is finished for the day and then transported to prison to start your sentence that day. So if there's anything you want to take to prison, take it to court with you!

Source(s): I'm an ex-prisoner.
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

Yes, if you are sentenced to a term in prison you go from court into a prison van and you will be taken straight to the prison that has been decided that you will serve your jail time.

• Clive
      Lv 7
      6 months agoReport

Not always true in other countries.

• Anonymous
    6 months ago

Yes if the judge sentences you to jail time. It may work differently if it's federal charges.

• 6 months ago

Not always, just sometimes

• 6 months ago

In most cases, in most courts, if you are sentenced to jail, you are immediately taken into custody and transported to jail. Not every case and not every court.

• Kyle
    Lv 7
    6 months ago

depends on each case. sometimes you are given a date of when you need to report to jail to serve your time. i don't know if you can start earlier or not, but you may still be given a date of when to report. Michael Cohen is a recent high profile case of such situation.

Still have questions? Get answers by asking now.