Sapiolove asked in Social SciencePsychology · 5 months ago

Can anyone else agree that being a deep thinker is the reason why it’s so hard to form or remain friends with people?

Nobody in my life is interested in philosophical topics, a real conversation and deep conversation about life. Everyone I know and everyone I meet has a one track mind which is themselves. If the conversation is not about them, the conversation is not important and if the conversation does not involve sexual topics or gossip about others, it’s not worth having.

No. You don’t have to be of the same intellect to be friends with someone, let alone have a conversation with them. The reason you don’t have friends is because you’re a conceited asshole, not because you are a “deep thinker”. Everyone thinks deeply, hop out of your bubble and you’ll see that.

• Sapiolove

Wow you are so triggered over this. Are you ok? You can talk to me about it, I’m a great listener.

It's been my observation that "Deep Thinkers" tend to like hearing their own voice talking about things they like thinking about,

but are often really bad listeners because they are just too distracted by their own thoughts!

Topics that have little or nothing in common with making love or money have a way of getting boring very quickly,,

Especially since one can only stroke one's own intellectual ego for so long before people start getting really creeped out by all the damned Mental Masturbation!

After all, the "Sound of One hand clapping" is oddly similar to that of Bull*hit getting thrown at the ceiling for the amusement watching it stick...

'Deep Thought Dialog' is usually no-more intellectually satisfying than that, and not nearly as much fun unless you happen to be stoned on some really good Weed!

I agree. I've only ever met one person who liked having philosophical conversations. Coincidentally she was my only real friend.

• Alan H

Not really. Not all interests have to be in common

• Raja

Philosophy is a boring subject to many. People don't like long conversations on that subject when they have lot to do in their lives. People accept it as pickles but not as a main dish. Everything must be used in the way they are accepted.

• P

It may be partly to do with it but is more likely to be down to your personality type. You may find it helpful to see where you fit in the Myers Briggs personality types and how you interface with the other types. It can be very instructive in explaining how you interface with others and who you would get on best with. If it's the why you're looking for it will be like a light going on.

To turn your question around it may be that you are a deep thinker because of the way you form relationships, and that this is down to your personality type

Yes. Deep thinkers usually have below-average social skills, such as how to participate in team sports, or how to get laid.

I hear you. One of the things (among many) I miss now that my wife has passed away is our BS conversations. We would talk politics, science, religion, sociology, and a myriad of other pseudo-intellectual topics. It was fun and stimulating.

She's been gone for almost two years now. And I've still not found someone I can BS with on a regular basis. My bro in law and I do the BS conversations, but he lives on the other side of the country from me. So we only get together a few weeks out of the year.

I miss my conversations about time travel, about quantum entanglement, about Trump, about homelessness, etc etc.

• P

You're in the right place, take your pick ;)

Yes, agree. Life is superficial for many these days. Just look at the pathetic articles on news websites that write about the most ridiculously petty things.

• j153e

It's probably good to have several modes...one for friends who garden, one for Plato, one for church, etc A person in their lifetime may play many roles.